Please critique the weld quality (photos enclosed)

/ Please critique the weld quality (photos enclosed) #1  

plowhog

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey 1710 / 1758, Ventrac 4500Y / TD9
I am having fencing/gates installed. Steel material that is/was powder coated.

The photos are for hinge welds for heavy gates. 6x6 steel posts and steel gates to cover a 16 foot opening.

Before approving the job, I'd like to make sure the weld quality is sufficient for long term reliable use. Except I do not know how to evaluate the quality of a weld. Does this work look right to you?

Attachments

• Weld1 - Copy.jpg
    Weld1 - Copy.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 1,781
  • Weld2 - Copy.jpg
    Weld2 - Copy.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 1,659
  • Weld3 - Copy.jpg
    Weld3 - Copy.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1,514
  • Weld4 - Copy.jpg
    Weld4 - Copy.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 1,379
  • Weld5 - Copy.jpg
    Weld5 - Copy.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1,348
  • Weld6 - Copy.jpg
    Weld6 - Copy.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 1,805
   / Please critique the weld quality (photos enclosed) #3  
I am by no means a welding expert, but know enough that these welds are very amateurish. Looks like they have been welded over and over again, and not very well. Now whether they will hold up or not is another story. Can ugly welds be sufficient? Of course, if it has good penetration into the steel. I am quite certain that other members will chime in that know a lot more than i do, but my observation is that these are not very good

/ Please critique the weld quality (photos enclosed) #4  
Looks very amateur. Not enough heat, way too much filler, not nearly enough grinding for the quantity of filler used and probably inadequate prep. Lots of nooks and crannies for water to accumulate in and rust to develop.
Might be okay to support the weight of the gate but I wouldn't go climbing on it or hang anything from it.

If I was paying money for that from a professional company I'd be pissed

/ Please critique the weld quality (photos enclosed) #5  
They look like crap. My welds look like that too. Even with fancy auto darkening helmets and light blocking cloth drapes on the back of the helmet, I just can't see well. My goose-poop welds seem to hold okay though.

/ Please critique the weld quality (photos enclosed) #7  
One side should look perfect because it was welded in a controlled environment. The “field” welded side may not look as nice.
Neither of those look “good”

Did you see what they were using to weld?
Stick/wire/etc

What’s the warranty on the work?

/ Please critique the weld quality (photos enclosed) #9  
They look very poor. I am not a welder by trade but can do a lot better than that.

/ Please critique the weld quality (photos enclosed) #10  
Like Ovrszd, I see a battle.

Without a contract, you could reasonably expect performance (the welding job) to meet the minimum standards of the trade. In the following link, are provided the six standards of the trade, with the lowest standard being appearance.
6 Levels of Welding Quality Standards

6 Levels of Welding Quality Standards​

We received a large number of email responses and comments to our article from two weeks ago pertaining to weld ...

Present the judgements from TBN participants to support your claim that the work does not meet appearance standards of the trade.
If you decide not to pay for the job, and the vendor will not redo the job, be careful. You do not want an enforceable mechanic's lien placed on your property.