Please critique the weld quality (photos enclosed)

/ Please critique the weld quality (photos enclosed) #11  
In welders terms, those are called pigeon crap welds.

/ Please critique the weld quality (photos enclosed) #12  
I don't see a bunch of porosity like a lack of shield gas. It is more like a very jumpy wire feed or a too big (missing) wire guide. Were they trying to weld without a face shield by just closing their eyes? OR....a half blind novice with a bad case of the shakes? You can see in the pictures that they tried to grind away the worst of the goobers.

/ Please critique the weld quality (photos enclosed) #13  
Even tho they look terrible, those gates could outlive us all.

/ Please critique the weld quality (photos enclosed) #14  
Zero chance that I'd accept that. Whoever made that mess knows nothing about welding.

Have someone who actually knows how to weld, grind off all that crap, and do the job right.

You could probably do way better yourself, even if you never welded, but watched a couple of Jamie's videos on weldingtipsandtricks.com.

Man, get it done right.

/ Please critique the weld quality (photos enclosed)
Thank you for the opinions and responses.

The work is from a professional fence/gate company. There have been many job problems beyond weld quality. More than can be attributed to a supply chain problem or rogue employee.

The owner is now involved. He has a professional demeanor-- he and I can talk the same language. But after ~6 months of problems and fumbles it is unclear if this is going to end successfully or become something different.

/ Please critique the weld quality (photos enclosed) #17  
There is a lot of difference between a Tractor and a Gate. It's his money and he's the one that has to look at it. His choice as what to do. Those ugly welds do distract and make the whole job look inferior.

/ Please critique the weld quality (photos enclosed) #18  
What a mess. Those welds would not pass any inspection.
I can think of 3 reasons why the company is going to remove the gates and rework the welding.
Can you show us a few examples of the gate construction welds. Are they the same or better quality?

Assuming the gate construction welds are good and only the hinge welds are poor quality...
The gates are very heavy and if they fell due to substandard workmanship a pedestrian or a worker could be killed and the gate company will be liable.

I have a friend who is a professional welder. He does better than that on a 16ft ladder outdoors in the wind. I would be worried about structure. Ugly welds are usually caused by under penetration. But also water intrusion causing long term failure.

Last edited:
   / Please critique the weld quality (photos enclosed) #19  
I certainly hope the fencing looks better than the gates. Photos Please.

/ Please critique the weld quality (photos enclosed) #20  
Thank you for the opinions and responses.

The work is from a professional fence/gate company. There have been many job problems beyond weld quality. More than can be attributed to a supply chain problem or rogue employee.

The owner is now involved. He has a professional demeanor-- he and I can talk the same language. But after ~6 months of problems and fumbles it is unclear if this is going to end successfully or become something different.
plowhog,

The business owner has ALWAYS been involved. You just got a face to face with the owner when you objected to poor/ shoddy work. The business owner has always been involved because they either were directly responsible for hiring the amateur welder and then sent them out on jobs OR an employee of the owner hired the amateur but the owner is not setting the expectation within the company of building a company by creating a network of satisfied customers who then refer future customers.

These welds are crap from an amateur who doesn't know how to prepare a surface for welding. They are clearly contaminated by either the powder coating or galvanization that was not removed from weld site. Also insufficient heat was applied ( low amperage ) during welding so the weld is superficial with little to no penetration into the joint. I would expect joint failure in near future.

You mention other problems above and beyond the welds. Sounds like you have a business owner who doesn't rely on word of mouth from satisfied customers to grow the business because he sequentially screws each customer.

I hope you are on a progress payment system and you have withheld enough to get a reputable contractor to correct this crap in the pictures. Expect to end up in court.

I had a similar issue with contractor who installed new windows in our house which was many hours away in another state ( absent homeowner ). Before final payment I visited the house and examined all the windows. I examined several windows in detail and found water behind the window trim on each window. I pulled trim off one window and found large amounts of water and mold behind the trim ( future rot and mold problems ). I contacted the window manufacturer and asked if they would warranty the windows as installed ( provided pictures to manufacturer ). They said warranty was void unless the windows were removed and correctly installed. The window manufacture's local installation represententive looked at windows in person and then suggested a local professional window installer who would remove and reinstall correctly and then the warranty would be in force. The window representative also wrote a letter to me detailing the defects observed in the initial installation. I immediately fired the original installer, hired and paid for the correct installation. The original installer took me to court. I presented the window representative's letter as evidence and the original installer lost the court case.

Last edited: