Plasma or Henrod

/ Plasma or Henrod #11  
Yeah, I thought that might be it. When I was looking my Ryobi chop saw over I did notice that the electric motor shaft feeds into a gearbox to boost the rpm's. I thought the rpm's would be the issue regarding the new blades on older chop saws.

/ Plasma or Henrod
Ok fellas, what does a chop saw (which I already have) and a carbide blade have to do with the relative merits of plasma vs henrod for cutting 1/2 in and less material?

I guess there is only one person on this board with a henrod or a plasma cutter and an opinion about its usefulness?

/ Plasma or Henrod #13  
Sorry, Charlie. Guess we kind of got off the point there. I have been looking at the websites for the Henrob, but I would also be interested in hearing more from people who have actually worked with them.

/ Plasma or Henrod #14  
Charlie, just that if all you are looking to do is cut/chop 1/2" metal that a relative cheep option would be a good carbide chop saw. Nicer cuts than any plasma or henrob cutting torch could make and faster. Plus you can cut cast iron and SS which I don't think any torch will touch.

You didn't say exactly why you were looking at the plasma or torch so if you have some further input I'll be happy to tell you my expieriences with the Henrob.

gary

/ Plasma or Henrod
Fair enough, as I said above, I am a hobiest not a pro. I do like good tools. I do as much or more wood working as metal. The first project I have planned is a bbq pit. I have the metal already. The smoke box and fire box are 16in dia pipe 7/16 thick. The end plates are 1/2 diamond plate. The other night I cut one of the sections of pipe for the fire box to 27 inches long. Looks like I drilled around it with a 3/16 drill and connected the dots with a chisle. Far too much grinding and welding to make it uable. I will be buying a tool that I can make cut better than that. I went thru the archives here and saw the henrod. Many people had it and said they would report their results.

O' never mind, this is getting way to difficult. I can make the $1500 to buy one easier than this.

/ Plasma or Henrod #16  
I've had a Henrob for several years. I bought it to weld repair panels in rusty old cars. I've used it to cut, but it takes a lot of practice/skill to make cuts like the people who demonstrate them. The distance from the oxy tip to the metal is critical, as is metal temp. I've made some cuts that portions were very professional, while just a short distance from that good cut looked terrible. I've never used a plasma cutter, so I can't compare the two.

/ Plasma or Henrod #17  
>Plus you can cut cast iron and SS which I don't think any torch will touch.
I used a plasma cutter yesterday at the local welder dealer, as I am contemplating buying one. I can assure you they cut stainless steel with ease. In fact SS cuts faster than mild steel because it does not conduct heat as well. Aluminum on the other hand cuts slowly.

/ Plasma or Henrod #18  
Unless you just have a lot of money to spend you already have what you need except a lot practice. With practice you should be able to do a very good job of cutting 1/2" steel with a regular cutting torch and for a LOT less than either of the orther options. If you have a lot of sheet metal to weld and cut the Henrob might be a good investment but you will still need a lot of practice. If you have something other than steel to cut then the plasma cutter is required. The bad thing about the expensive machines like a plasma cutter is that they become obsolete relatively quickly. I bought a very expensive Heliarc welder in the 80's for home use. It worked great for almost 20 years but this year it broke and parts are no longer available to repair it. I got lots of good use from it but for a home/hobby application I did not get my money's worth from it. I would have been money ahead to have all of my Heliarc welding done by a welding shop. I am pondering what to do since I now know that a $3K welder is a bad investment for home use but I am moving to the country where there are no welding shops nearby so I will probably buy another one and hope it lasts until I get too old to care. At the rate the welding companies are going out of business and merging this is probably wishful thinking. I am looking for a plasma cutter because I use a lot of non-ferous metals but I have been leary of spending $2k on a something that I may not be able to get consumables for in 2 years. I did a lot of research and concluded that Themal Dynamics makes the best plasma cutters but they are a relatively small company and I am afraid that they will not be able to survive. If they are bought out, the parts for the current machines will likely not be available in a few years and even if they are not bought out, the technology is changing fast enough that the current parts will probably become hard to get before long anyway. It used to be that you could buy a top of the line machine from someone like Miller and expect it to last a lifetime. These days it seems that 5 years is the expected life of a product so if you buy expensive industrial equipment you had better use the heck out of it when while it is new and expect to feel like you got screwed when it breaks down ten years down the road and no one can fix it. This is not a problem for industrial users who recover their costs in a couple of years or less but for a hobbiest it is the pits because you never recover the cost. Of course one can always buy some of the cheap junk from TSC of Harbor Freight but then you will never know what a real machine is like and the difference is usually like night and day.