Plasma or Henrod

/ Plasma or Henrod #1  

Charlie_in_TX

Gold Member
I was going thru the archives and saw the link to the Hendod tourch with some positive comments from users. I am considering a plasma cutter and would like your input.

First about me and how it will be used. I am a hobbiest/home owner. I have a ox/ac rig already. I have no skill with the cutter. Looks like I drilled holes and connected with a chisle. Most material I cut will be 1/2 in or less.

Should I brake down and get a $1.5k plasma cutter or will the Henrod do what I need (in unskilled hands).

http://www.cut-like-plasma.com/

/ Plasma or Henrod #2  
Charlie,
I know nothing about plasma cutters but saw this link in a farm magazine and thought I'd pass it on. They say it out performs plasma cutters hands down.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.magnumusa.com/> Magnum USA </A>

/ Plasma or Henrod #3  
Charlie, I'm a Henrob user and have just recently started using the cutting tips. Here's my opinion, if you want to make a cut that a chop saw or band saw can't make what are your choices? Cutting torch...

As far as the Henrob goes, used correctly it does cut a very nice cut. I've used it on 12ga channel and 3/8" bar stock. I needed to use the "training wheels" at first, but after a bit of practice have had a few free hand cuts. It really helps to use something to steady your hand on to do the cutting.

The distance from the tip to the metal is critical and also the oxy pressure.

Once the cut begins, just keep it smooth and it's a great tool.

As for most metal cutting/welding tools I've used, practice is everything...

If you have any specific questions let me know.

gary

/ Plasma or Henrod #4  
While not a user of either I did see the henrod demonstration at the Farm Days in Seneca Falls NY this summer and was very impressed. While it's not cheap ($400) and I've heard it takes a little practice the demonstrator did some amazing things. He but slices from 1/2 plate that were thin enough to bend with your fingers, then welded some dirty aluminum sheet metal. Now with tig the aluminum has to be really clean so it was pretty impressive to see some dirty aluminum together. Also did some rusty metal without a problem. Guy also said you only use 2lbs o2 pressure which is quite a bit less than with a conventional tip so you save some money there on your gasses. If it was a choice between a plasma cutter which will only cut, and a henrod that cuts and welds I'd go for the henrod.

/ Plasma or Henrod #5  
gerard, with my Henrob, it's set-up to use 4 1/2 psi of both oxy and acte, except when cutting heavier steel, up to about 15psi of oxy, but because of the small tips it's still uses less than a conventional cutting tool.

BTW, I recently got a <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID=159>http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID=159</A> DW872 cut off saw that is awesome when cross cutting pieces up to about 6". I've cut 4x4 12ga channel in about 20secs with a super smooth no bur edge.

gary

/ Plasma or Henrod #6  
thanx for the correction, my meory isn't what it used to be and it was never too good!! Heard about those carbide chop saws. I think the first cut would be hard to do, looks so much like a wood blade. How much did it cost? I guess my question would be if it miters like a wood power miter saw couldn't you get by with one saw and just switch blades? I know the metal cutting saws have sealed bearings so you can't cut metal with a wood saw but couldn't you cut would with a metal saw with the right blade?

/ Plasma or Henrod #7  
gerard, I got mine off Ebay for about $300+shipping. The blad has 70teeth. I does looks alot like the dewalt wood chop saw, but the base is much heavier and smaller for the metal. It's a 15amp motor and has a little different spring. They advertise that the blade with make 1200 cuts before it needs re-sharpend.
we'll see....
This saw blade is 14" and my wood chop saw is 12".

gary

/ Plasma or Henrod #8  
I just bought a 14" Ryobi chop saw that has a good solid cast base. It uses an abrasive wheel. The question is, can you buy one of these new carbide blades and just put it on you regular 14" chop saw instead of the regular abrasive wheel? Is the rpm range the same, or do you have to buy the whole rig because of the difference?

/ Plasma or Henrod #9  
rocky, good question, I'll check the rpm in my OM tonight and see and let you know about that. What amp/hp does your abrasive saw have? That may have something to do with it too.

gary

/ Plasma or Henrod #10  
The abrasive blade turns about 3 times faster than the
carbide tipped blade.