Planted a couple of oaks this week for a second time (13 years later)

/ Planted a couple of oaks this week for a second time (13 years later) #11  
If you don't mind telling, how much did they charge for how many trees? How far apart the source and destination?

/ Planted a couple of oaks this week for a second time (13 years later) #12  
I planted a bunch of bur oak acorns 33 years ago this fall, in various locations around. At friends, relatives, etc. The ones that didn't get cut down (several) are good sized trees now, some about 40 feet tall. I was going to move one from my old place in 1998, but at 12+ years old, it was already too big, and in rocky soil.

/ Planted a couple of oaks this week for a second time (13 years later)
If you don't mind telling, how much did they charge for how many trees? How far apart the source and destination?

$750 each for these 2 oaks. 4 miles between sites. Last fall price was $500 each for the cedars but we moved 14. He is the only game around with this size spade so kind of hard to argue price.

/ Planted a couple of oaks this week for a second time (13 years later) #14  
What a BEAUTIFUL house. Those oaks are a very fine addition to the front yard. And while the price of the move might seem high - calculated against the years it took to get that size - not bad at all. Besides, they have sentimental value that new planting would not have.

What a BEAUTIFUL house. Those oaks are a very fine addition to the front yard. And while the price of the move might seem high - calculated against the years it took to get that size - not bad at all. Besides, they have sentimental value that new planting would not have.

I agree oosik, I thought the price was fair, especially when you factor in his travel, setup time, and cost of his rig.

/ Planted a couple of oaks this week for a second time (13 years later) #16  
$750 each for these 2 oaks.

Well I am jealous. That sounds like a great deal. I just spent $8,000+ having about a dozen oaks trimmed. They are several hundred year old oaks, a true delight on the property and prominent in their locations. Also with huge limbs overhanging structures-- so it was trim now or clean up wreckage later.

Well I am jealous. That sounds like a great deal. I just spent $8,000+ having about a dozen oaks trimmed. They are several hundred year old oaks, a true delight on the property and prominent in their locations. Also with huge limbs overhanging structures-- so it was trim now or clean up wreckage later.

I'm always amazed when I hear someone talking about quotes for tree trimming or removal. Always seems really expensive to be but as with most work I'm sure there is much more to it than meets the eye.

/ Planted a couple of oaks this week for a second time (13 years later) #18  
We had a bunch of ash trees near our cabin and they all died a few years ago [emerald ash beetle]. Two guys who are pole climbers for the power company do tree work in their off hours and came by with all the right trucks and equipment. They spent the whole day on the property and charged $1100 to drop 12 big trees and cut up 3 of them with the time they had left. Also trimmed a few big walnuts and some big pines along the fence row. When you think of it, that was a pretty good payday for them given they had few expenses [trucks looked fully depreciated et al]. But that price makes my friends in the DC area drool.

As an aside, the one climber said how he hated working in winter. He made the point that the only time they get called out is when the weather is at its worst and climbing poles in a sleet storm is no fun. He said, "hey, if I didn't have kids I would just as soon spend the winter in jail." Now, there's a different sort of career plan.

/ Planted a couple of oaks this week for a second time (13 years later) #19  

Fully agreed..

Do you have any pictures? :D

/ Planted a couple of oaks this week for a second time (13 years later) #20  
Do you have any pictures?

I have some pictures of the trees before trimming. One pix is of the trimmings/debris. I have most of it in one place now-- the group is coming soon to split it into firewood. And I have one pix of one of the rounds I was moving with the grapple today. That was for an oak tree that had mostly died back to just a trunk-- so we took the trunk down. It's a 4 foot level in the picture.

Oaks1A.jpg
Oaks2A.jpg
Oaks3A.jpg
Oaks4A.jpg
Debris1A.jpg
Rounds1A.jpg