Planted a couple of oaks this week for a second time (13 years later)

/ Planted a couple of oaks this week for a second time (13 years later) #1  

jk96

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L6060
We planted these two oak trees about 13 years ago at our old home and business location. They were saplings at the time and my daughter was just an infant. We planted them a second time on Tuesday but needed a bigger shovel this time. Pretty amazing watching this 90" spade work and how easy it moved these trees. These oaks were 10" and 25ft tall.

First Pic of Tree Spade is a video but have to click the picture to get to the video link

20181218_123731_1~2[1] https://www.flickr.com/photos/150090343@N02/, on Flickr

20181218_152633[1] https://www.flickr.com/photos/150090343@N02/, on Flickr

DJI_0007[1] https://www.flickr.com/photos/150090343@N02/, on Flickr

Attachments

• 20181218_152633[1].jpg
    20181218_152633[1].jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 100
  • DJI_0007[1].JPG
    DJI_0007[1].JPG
    6.5 MB · Views: 116
   / Planted a couple of oaks this week for a second time (13 years later) #2  
Beautiful home. Great trees. I planted 2 trees at my old house when my daughters were each born. I wish I had moved those trees when I moved also.

/ Planted a couple of oaks this week for a second time (13 years later) #3  
JK 96,

nice story. Did they recommend a good trimming?

In China they transplant trees in an odd way. For example; A tree with a 6 in dia trunk, is cut off at about 12 ft and most of the branches. The root ball is about the size of a bushel basket.
So it looks like a row of logs poking out of the ground. Years latter, they have a row of identical trees with the same looking branch structure, all forked at 12 ft.

Attachments

• China tree lined street.jpg
    China tree lined street.jpg
    577.9 KB · Views: 171
   / Planted a couple of oaks this week for a second time (13 years later)
JK 96,

nice story. Did they recommend a good trimming?

In China they transplant trees in an odd way. For example; A tree with a 6 in dia trunk, is cut off at about 12 ft and most of the branches. The root ball is about the size of a bushel basket.
So it looks like a row of logs poking out of the ground. Years latter, they have a row of identical trees with the same looking branch structure, all forked at 12 ft.

No trimming required. They said to fill any voids around the edge of the rootball with topsoil, apply root stimulator, and plenty of water especially the first year. Last year around this time we moved 12 similar size cedars and 5 maples for our wedding venue we own. All but one cedar made it.

/ Planted a couple of oaks this week for a second time (13 years later) #5  
Good idea.

Did they go to the new house first and make the hole and bring the dirt to the old house, grab the tree and place at the new house?

/ Planted a couple of oaks this week for a second time (13 years later) #7  
That is great-- thanks for posting. Are those pin oaks, or what variety?

I am going to transplant many trees this winter-- but nothing even close to that large!!!

Good idea.

Did they go to the new house first and make the hole and bring the dirt to the old house, grab the tree and place at the new house?

Yes. They brought an empty pod the same size and shape as the spade. They pulled the plug at the new house, then dropped it in the empty pod where the oaks were. After the last oak was pulled and moved to the house they pulled the plug out of the holder and dropped in the hole where the last oak was.

That is great-- thanks for posting. Are those pin oaks, or what variety?

I am going to transplant many trees this winter-- but nothing even close to that large!!!

Both were red oaks.

PLUS 2 :thumbsup:

Thanks guys.

Everything went smooth other than we caught one of my drain lines for the house gutters. I figured it was going to be close. I had to split the difference between where the gutter drains were and geothermal lines from the house. I went as close to the geothermal as I was comfortable. If you look at the last picture from the drone you can see where the ground is sunk in next to the tree on the right. That is where the lines out to the geo field were ran. 2 more inches and I would have missed the drain pipe. Just barely caught it.

/ Planted a couple of oaks this week for a second time (13 years later) #9  
I love the looks of that large paved area to the right of the house. Looks like it eliminates that cramped feeling when moving cars and machinery around the garage area. Also nicely designed so as not to interfere with the site lines of the house. I don't think I've ever seen better. Feel free to post a more direct picture of it if you like.

I love the looks of that large paved area to the right of the house. Looks like it eliminates that cramped feeling when moving cars and machinery around the garage area. Also nicely designed so as not to interfere with the site lines of the house. I don't think I've ever seen better. Feel free to post a more direct picture of it if you like.

Will get a pic for you when I get a chance.

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

1045 10 JOHN DEERE 8000 SERIES FRONT WEIGHTS (A34733)
1045 10 JOHN DEERE...
CAT 336 Excavator Bucket Teeth Lot of 19 (A34302)
CAT 336 Excavator...
Pallet Of Fire Extinguishers (A34302)
Pallet Of Fire...
2467 N012 CAT LAND GRADER (A34733)
2467 N012 CAT LAND...
YAMAHA KODIAK 450 4 WHEELER, (HAS BEEN SITTING FOR 3 YEARS) NO TITLE (A34808)
YAMAHA KODIAK 450...
FORD 4.6L V8 ENG & AUTO TRANS W/ TRANSFER CASE (A34808)
FORD 4.6L V8 ENG &...