Placement of doors in 40x60x14 workshop

/ Placement of doors in 40x60x14 workshop #1  

Ed27

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 2310 and Kubota M7060HD12
For a post-frame workshop 40' wide, 60' long, and 14' tall, with two overheads doors, each with the dimension of 12' wide and 12' tall, what would be the best placement of the two overhead doors?

/ Placement of doors in 40x60x14 workshop #2  
Too many other factors. Layout of land, location of driveway, planned usage. We would need more info.
What is it being used for? Storage, workshop? Wood shop?

What is going in and out those doors? Combine? Jet skis?

Which way does the wind blow from normally?

Like I said, need more info

/ Placement of doors in 40x60x14 workshop #4  
Without knowing anything about your potential use, I would say two doors isn't enough. I have a 40 x 48 building and when I bought the property it only had one 12 x 11 door centered on the end. I added a 9 x 8 on that end, but constraints keep me from adding another. I would like to have two 9 x 8 doors flanking the 12 x 11 but can't because of the where it sits. With a 60' long building, you might put doors in both ends. Structurally doors in the ends are easy. If you don't want to install a lot of doors initially, you can frame the ends with door openings and put the doors in later if you want.

/ Placement of doors in 40x60x14 workshop
Too many other factors. Layout of land, location of driveway, planned usage. We would need more info.
What is it being used for? Storage, workshop? Wood shop?

What is going in and out those doors? Combine? Jet skis?

Which way does the wind blow from normally?

Like I said, need more info
It will be a new build on 50 acres. Can be placed in many locations. Will be used for typical farm building and workshop. I am thinking I will put the two doors in the center of each 40' wall. The other thought would be to put one door in the middle on a 40' wall and the other door near the other end of the building in a 60' wall.

/ Placement of doors in 40x60x14 workshop #6  
It will be a new build on 50 acres. Can be placed in many locations. Will be used for typical farm building and workshop. I am thinking I will put the two doors in the center of each 40' wall. The other thought would be to put one door in the middle on a 40' wall and the other door near the other end of the building in a 60' wall.
East Tennesee, Do you get much snow there? Where I am at it is not a good idea to place a door where the snow slides off the building.
@rScotty has a good post on the doors being away from the prevaling wind direction.

/ Placement of doors in 40x60x14 workshop #7  
East Tennesee, Do you get much snow there? Where I am at it is not a good idea to place a door where the snow slides off the building.
@rScotty has a good post on the doors being away from the prevaling wind direction.
Yep in a heavier snow area if you don't put them on a gable end, although sometimes not as practical or convenient, you have higher risk of damage from snow and ice sliding off the roof when stuffs parked in front of doors even if your using "snow stops" plus multiple extra cleanups in front of door throughout the winter.

Last edited:
   / Placement of doors in 40x60x14 workshop #9  
I have a similar height building but 40x81. I have 4 doors on the long side and 1 on an end. Also two house size entry doors. Makes it easier to get things in and out for me.

/ Placement of doors in 40x60x14 workshop #10  
For a post-frame workshop 40' wide, 60' long, and 14' tall, with two overheads doors, each with the dimension of 12' wide and 12' tall, what would be the best placement of the two overhead doors?
Two is not enough. My workshop is exactly the same size as yours. I put a 12' door on each of the long ends to facilitate driving through if desired, which is often. I also put a 10' W x 12' H door on the house side, and in addition I put a walk-through door on the near-house end.

On hot days, that's just exactly enough openings to allow a nice breeze come through as well as good lighting should I want a little sunshine inside. All of my large doors are roll-up type, with chain. The cost of having electric powered doors sure would have been nice, but the chain-pull's are really not that much effort either.