Pipe Threader

/ Pipe Threader #31  
Ha. 'NPT' is the abbreviation for 'spiral leak', so my faith will always rest in dope or tape.

/ Pipe Threader #32  
I was told at a Lowe’s and Home Depot that they couldn’t thread anything under 12” because their threader would accept short pieces. Not sure if that was true or just BS
They either didn't want to or didn't know how to do it. When I was in plumbing trade school we used to make everything even down to close nipples, (Where the threads come from both ends of the pipe to the center,)and we did it both on Rigid pipe threading machines as well as using drop head dye hand threaders. You simply make a nipple chuck to hold the short piece of pipe either in the threader or the pipe vice. I have made MANY of these short nipples and short pipes. It's just a question of 'wanting' to do it.

/ Pipe Threader #33  
Consider using soft copper and compression/flared fittings for the last run. Copper is easy to cut and the cutting tools are cheap. Fittings are a little expensive, but with the soft copper you may be able to get by with only a couple.

/ Pipe Threader #34  
10+ years ago a buddy bought a HF hand threader set, and complained it was tearing the threads on the pipe. I took a look at the chasers and the
cutting edges were a joke. I sharpened them for him (on a tool and cutter grinder) and then they cut beautiful threads. A couple years ago I picked up
a Oster "Pipe Master" power threading machine from the 1950's on Marketplace. I tuned up the machine, and sharpened all the chasers and it does a fantastic job. Best part, not having to visit the box stores and endure that environment.

/ Pipe Threader
Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions.
As I mentioned, this is not for a gas line or other potentially hazardous application ... so long as the threads will go into the fittings, I'll be satisfied.
After reading all of the posts (and knowing that I'll likely never use the tool again), I'll check used tool shops, e-bay, and the local on-line marketplaces for a Ridgid or other higher quality tool, but if none is available, I'll go with the HF and see what happens.

/ Pipe Threader #36  
I work in the tool rental department at Home Depot. Our rental department has a black pipe threader for rental. Not all stores have it, so I'd call to make sure. You can also check on the Home Depot Website.

/ Pipe Threader #37  
Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions.
As I mentioned, this is not for a gas line or other potentially hazardous application ... so long as the threads will go into the fittings, I'll be satisfied.
After reading all of the posts (and knowing that I'll likely never use the tool again), I'll check used tool shops, e-bay, and the local on-line marketplaces for a Ridgid or other higher quality tool, but if none is available, I'll go with the HF and see what happens.
If you go look at the HF ones, if you can check the cutting edges of the chasers. Be sure they are sharp and crisp, not rounded over, or chipped.

/ Pipe Threader #38  
Be aware that pipe can break at the threads if Leaning Tower of Pisa'd. I fab with tubing and welding.

/ Pipe Threader #40  
I have a small DIY project for which I want to use black pipe. It will require making threads on both ends of 9 pieces of pipe. Although I know the finished length of 5 of the pieces, the length of the remaining 4 pieces are uncertain until I'm into the project.
I know that the big-box stores will thread pipe if you buy the pipe from them, but because I don't know the length of several pieces and I'm about an hour from any big-box store with a threader, I'm considering buying a pipe threader. I won't use it much, so I'm hoping there's a pipe threader which will get the job done but won't break the bank ($100 or less). It looks like Ridgid makes a quality pipe threader, but it costs more than I want to spend.
Harbor Freight, Northern Tool and Amazon have sub-$100 pipe threaders, but I'm concerned that they wouldn't make it through even my little job.
Has anyone had good or bad experience with one of the within-the-budget pipe threaders?
Thanks,
GRR
I have a great Rigid that has and still is great. I have retired and no longer need it.