Pipe Threader

/ Pipe Threader #1  

Ghost River Retrievers

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland
I have a small DIY project for which I want to use black pipe. It will require making threads on both ends of 9 pieces of pipe. Although I know the finished length of 5 of the pieces, the length of the remaining 4 pieces are uncertain until I'm into the project.
I know that the big-box stores will thread pipe if you buy the pipe from them, but because I don't know the length of several pieces and I'm about an hour from any big-box store with a threader, I'm considering buying a pipe threader. I won't use it much, so I'm hoping there's a pipe threader which will get the job done but won't break the bank ($100 or less). It looks like Ridgid makes a quality pipe threader, but it costs more than I want to spend.
Harbor Freight, Northern Tool and Amazon have sub-$100 pipe threaders, but I'm concerned that they wouldn't make it through even my little job.
Has anyone had good or bad experience with one of the within-the-budget pipe threaders?
Thanks,
GRR

/ Pipe Threader #3  
Ghost
Was size pipe are you wanting to thread? I have not used an HF threader but on smaller sizes I would think would work for your task. Main thing keep the dies well oiled while cutting the threads.

/ Pipe Threader #4  
I had an outdoor fauct rust through at a rental house. Needed a 1/2 NPT die to thread on a new faucet. I also needed the "wrench" part to be ratcheting for a tight space.

The die and wrench was well over 250, it would have been cheaper to just call a plumber. It cut like butter and the new fitting went right on a sealed.

I like tools though and I thought I would need it later at my cabin to pipe in propane. So I will have to use it else where to make it pay for itself, but eventually it will...

/ Pipe Threader #5  
If you're within their size limits the HF threader will probably serve the purpose for your limited use. They are a hand tool so they do have the lifetime guarantee. I believe HF even sells replacement dies. The dies may not be guaranteed. As with any tapping or threading job a liberal use of a good cutting oil will extend the life of your tools as well as making a better cut.

/ Pipe Threader #6  
I bought an off brand pipe threader with dies at a garage sale for $20 bucks a few years ago. It was the last day, and they were trying hard to get rid of the remaining items. Can’t even find the brand name on it anywhere.

I only need it once every 2 or 3 years, but it always does the job. Knowing that, I think the HF tool would be fine for occasional use.
It will probably end up stored somewhere out of the way for most of its life.

/ Pipe Threader
Ghost
Was size pipe are you wanting to thread? I have not used an HF threader but on smaller sizes I would think would work for your task. Main thing keep the dies well oiled while cutting the threads.
I need to thread 1" pipe.

rgr33,
Regarding it being on a shelf most of its live, in my > 60 years, this is the first time I've ever needed a pipe threader, so if history tells the story, it'll be the only time I use it.

I don't mind spending money on high quality tools that I will use even if only on limited occasions (as well as for other stuff ... and for retriever training equipment, I pretty much ignore the price and just buy it), but a probable 1 time use is pushing me toward taking a gamble with something of lesser quality.

And BTW, it isn't for a gas line or anything that could create a hazard, but instead it's for something akin to a carry-rack on a side-by-side.

/ Pipe Threader #9  
Though I don't know the quality of the HF pipe threaders this is a tool that has been made for at least 120 years, if it is a manual one. Easy to copy and also easy to make one that works well for not much money. So either rent one or buy the HF unit. I have a very old manual pipe threader that's at least 80 years old, as are the dies that it came with. I don't think the dies are HSS but are instead just high carbon steel. I have used it plenty enough times to know that it works well and that the dies hold up. If it was me I would buy the HF threader just so I wouldn't need to drive a long way to return the rental unit. However, if the rental unit was cheap to rent and was motorized I would seriously consider renting it because of bad arthritis in my wrists. In any case make sure you use cutting oil made for threading. Any decent hardware store sells the stuff. Don't cheap out and try using whatever oil you have on hand.
Eric

/ Pipe Threader #10  
I have an old Armstrong pipe threader that I inherited from my FIL, it works great. It's also important to have a good pipe vise to hold the workpiece. For small diameter pipe a bench vise will work but for larger pipe a well anchored pipe vice makes life much easier.