Pileated woodpeeker facts and photos

/ Pileated woodpeeker facts and photos #1  

ArlyA

Houghton MI (the Lake Superior snow belt) USA
Tractor
Polaris Boss 6x6 with pods (tracks) Center actuating lawn mower by Husky
Here is a nice video with some cool facts about the Pileated Woodpeckers like things they like to eat, where to find one, things you can do if they are damaging your home, and even how to pronounce Pileated.

Last edited:
   / Pileated woodpeeker facts and photos
As seen on our porch today. I was within 10ft from this fellow (actual sex I couldn't tell for sure but i believe it was a male)
Pileated 776.jpg
Pileated 0777.jpg
Pileated 0779.jpg

/ Pileated woodpeeker facts and photos #3  
I love watching them fly through the woods, they always look like they are going to run into something but never do. I had a pair which was around constantly after I built here 19 years ago. There was a beech tree they were working but it was a hazard so I cut it down. I still see them around occasionally and try to leave some trees for them, but my last wildlife tree blew over.

/ Pileated woodpeeker facts and photos #4  
Seems every tree they peck on sooner later dies.

/ Pileated woodpeeker facts and photos #5  
Wow...very cool pictures. I would love to have them at the feeder or at least see them near the house. They are big! I have seen a few of them on horse rides at parks though.

/ Pileated woodpeeker facts and photos #6  
It's not hard to imagine that they descended from dinosaurs... or pterosaurs...

/ Pileated woodpeeker facts and photos #8  
They go after my older tree stumps. I find them very useful to break them down as insects infest them.
Interesting watching them walking around the stumps.
They are large and very noticeable.

/ Pileated woodpeeker facts and photos #9  
Have not heard much lately...but for a while there was a lot of hope in spotting an Ivory Billed woodpecker...in the swamps the of gulf coast...had also head reports of sightings in Cuba...but to date they remain "extinct"...

Last edited:
   / Pileated woodpeeker facts and photos
Have not heard much lately...but for a while there was a lot of hope in spotting an Ivory Billed woodpecker...in the swamps the of gulf coast...had also head reports of sightings in Cuba...but to date they remain "instinct"...
Pileated Woodpeckers are a close cousin to them.