Pilated Woodpecker

/ Pilated Woodpecker #1  

nybirdman

Tractor
Kubota L4240 HSTC,L3000DT
Caught this fellow in the back yard.A good 15 inches long.Feb.26,2012

/ Pilated Woodpecker #2  

Good picture...we see one on our property once or twice a year. Once found one in our chimney "clean out" at the base...obviously dead. They sure are pretty birds! TMR

/ Pilated Woodpecker #3  
Nice picture. I don't see them often but hear them almost daily. An impressive bird.

/ Pilated Woodpecker #5  
Pileated woodpeckers are awesome to behold. They have just started to move into my area in SE Michigan. I've seen a few pairs and the huge oval holes that they leave in trees is unmistakeable.

/ Pilated Woodpecker #6  
Pileated woodpeckers are awesome to behold. They have just started to move into my area in SE Michigan. I've seen a few pairs and the huge oval holes that they leave in trees is unmistakeable.

yeah,, see and hear them everyday here. They come to the suet feeders the mother in law puts out.. and yes the those distinctive holes they make near the tops of the power poles is unmistakable also.:mad:
Several of the poles near my house have them.

James K0UA

/ Pilated Woodpecker #7  
yeah,, ........ yes the those distinctive holes they make near the tops of the power poles is unmistakable also.:mad:

James K0UA

:laughing: That's what they do. They're WOODpeckers.

/ Pilated Woodpecker #8  
:laughing: That's what they do. They're WOODpeckers.

Durn peckerwoods. They are magnificent to look at but I worry about the damage they do to the power poles. And in the springtime when they "drum" on the metal parts on buildings it sounds like a .50 cal machine gun.

James K0UA

/ Pilated Woodpecker #9  

:thumbsup: Nice picture...must have been hard to take since they are very wary fellows. We have 3 that regularly visit out suet feeders.

/ Pilated Woodpecker
:thumbsup: Nice picture...must have been hard to take since they are very wary fellows. We have 3 that regularly visit out suet feeders.

Yes they are,just happened to see him out the window...first time this year.
I had my camera maxed out on telephoto.