Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Pictures of your snow weapons

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #5,521  
I didn't get a written report over what was done, mechanic that was on it was off today. But they readjusted somethings after what the counter lady said. I will mount it up to make sure there is no more vibrations on the PTO shaft.

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #5,522  
Anyone have a SSQA plow? I have been using a rear blade but like the idea of a FEL plow.

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #5,523  
Anyone have a SSQA plow? I have been using a rear blade but like the idea of a FEL plow.

Not a SSQA type...Deere type attach

AF11e_a_resized.jpg
Works pretty good, trips too much, but that's adjustable tightening up the springs. This blade is a manual angle, but a hydraulic package is available
I use the in conjunction with a 72" 3PH snow blower.
Sold the tractor, BTW...so, I'm either going to sell this blade or get another Deere to rig it to...

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #5,524  

I built one out of an old Western plow. Used the blade, a-frame, and cylinders. I cut the a-frame off just after the cylinders and welded the pin brackets back on. I cut the truck side pin mounts off and welded those onto the SSQA plate. I then welded the chain lift arm onto the SSQA plate. The lift arm has since tore apart (after a violent bounce-back from blade trip) so I just welded the chain onto the SSQA plate. I originally made this for my skid loader, but have since sold the skid loader and now use this on my tractor. I am thinking about adding weight to the plow because it doesn't scrape as well as I'd like.

You can kind of see the set-up in this picture.
20190128_200356.jpg

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #5,525  
I like the idea as well, but it has some drawbacks. Mostly that loader float doesn't work & commercial blades don't have blade float.

Plow #1. Cheap garage sale plow off a Jeep or something. I welded a 3pt quick hitch to a SSQA plate. That made a good mount with float. The OEM plow frame had maybe 15 degrees of rotational float (by design, not wear). Probably to much float in my mount as I could bounce the plow frame past vertical if I tried. It was lighter, manual angle, stick out way to far & attached to an open station tractor. So it got sold with the L3200.

Plow #2. I got a decent deal on a new SSQA Snow Dawg. Much heavier, hydraulic angle, pre-built unit. Just like every other commercial one I've seen its a solid mount with no float. I figured I could rebuild it with float if needed. 2? 3? Winters later I'm very much of the opinion I need to rebuild it with float, but it barely doesn't make my urgent to do list.

I guess a solid mount works well for a compact skid steer on flat parking lots. But a longer tractor on less smooth gravel roads, not as much. You end up plowing a lot of gravel. Float let's the blade follow contours. Floating your loader doesn't work just like digging with your loader in float doesn't work. You end up with your front tires 2' off the ground.

Your plow hanging way out also sucks. The further out your plow the more leverage it has. Angle the plow in big snow & you just get pushed to the side. If the plow was on tighter, there would be less push sideways. Also the more compact the more maneuverable.

Several people have posted SSQA plow builds that are really compact & have float. I'll likely poach some of their design ideas when I finally rebuilt mine with float.

I recently got a rear blade again (for dirt work the SSQA plow & box blade couldn't do or do well). It has some advantages, but I like the visibility of the SSQA despite the disadvantages.

Stay away from the cheap light SSQA plows with a double acting cylinder for angle. They are more compact, but are pretty weak. You can't put a crossover relief valve to protect your cylinders or loader on 1 double acting cylinder. They also usually don't have a trip edge.IMG_20150117_153817.jpgIMG_20150117_153836.jpg20170109_181006.jpg20170110_213656.jpg20170110_213705.jpg

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #5,526  
I have a power angling SSQA plow for my loader.
It does stick out way to far for easy use, once the driveway has frozen hard it works OK.
If I was going to do it again I would under sling mount a pickup plow, preferably a large adjustable V style.
Branson an blade.jpg View attachment tractor n blade1.jpg View attachment tractor n blade2.jpg pile 2.jpg
There are several threads on mounting blades to the loaders.

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #5,527  
I built this one with both l/r tilt to follow the ground and a telescoping top link type connection (see the tube in a tube).
DSCN3950.jpeg

For the lateral movement I came up with this, the 1" bolt in the middle is the pivot point and the outside of that "beam" rides against the framework to bear the pushing forces along with stops that limit the movement (rotation).
DSCN3940.jpg

Those series of holes are where the plow pins on. I put a hole above and below the middle hole, that's where the A frame is level with the boom against the frame stops. It might be nice to adjust the attack angle of the plow.
DSCN3959.jpg

It tilts either direction this much and I need that around here, plus it's better for the plow and does a better scrape at strange grades.
DSCN4070.jpg

The trouble with a tractor loader arm mounting Falon described above, but if you don't have a lot of turning to do it's a cheap date and a simple chain for a "top link" will work. The setup here allows for down pressure and float. there's about 6" of travel with this setup and I found that to be too much. On the SS I only use the "bucket tilt" to lift the blade unless I'm stacking piles, and the 6" just kinda wasted time taking all the travel out before the blade lifted.

Attachments

• DSC00310.jpeg
    DSC00310.jpeg
    131.7 KB · Views: 103
   / Pictures of your snow weapons #5,528  
Ignore the Harley pic, I'm trying to sell it. I screwed up and don't know how to delete it.

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #5,530  
Here's my set up. 7' blade and 68" rear mounted blower. The blade does not stick out excessively but I make sure I am aware of it when I am plowing. I don't want to tweak a loader arm.

20190313_114526.jpg