Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Pictures of your snow weapons

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #5,531  
Here's my set up. 7' blade and 68" rear mounted blower. The blade does not stick out excessively but I make sure I am aware of it when I am plowing. I don't want to tweak a loader arm.

View attachment 671315
you must be from down under. I hate it when my pics show upside down.

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #5,532  
Have a generic Chinese ssq type plow. Works ok, trips too easy, did the pipe mod to the cutting edge, works better now. Heavy built but loose in linkage for the hydraulic angle. Does tick all the boxes for the price. Currently working on a fel mount pto powered blower to be used in conjunction with a rear blade for my snow clearing.

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #5,533  
just for the reference, here is snow machine/weapon I operated this past winter. :laughing:

Attachments

• Pb1090927.jpg
    Pb1090927.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
   / Pictures of your snow weapons #5,534  
8 foot PA ssqa front blade with center pivoting and the BB for rear pushing in winter.

Attachments

• tplow.jpg
    tplow.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 119
  • tplow1.jpg
    tplow1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 113
  • tplow 2.jpg
    tplow 2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 130
   / Pictures of your snow weapons #5,535  
joeyd
Is that on a SSQA mount to the FEL?

For various reasons (many listed above), I went directly to fab'ing a QA for the front of the tractor (close, FEL removed, floats, less storage room, tighter turns, more robust, etc.)

Attachments

• SnowPlowPic.JPG
    SnowPlowPic.JPG
    177 KB · Views: 139
   / Pictures of your snow weapons #5,536  
Here is a good thread about an underslung mount that floats or can do down pressure.

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/408923-setback-underslung-ssqa-snow-plow.html

Thanks airbiscuit. Here is a short video my wife took plowing 9" of heavy wet snow in late March with that plow. You can see the gravel was soft and not frozen any more. I did turn up some gravel but not too bad. The flow was floating with just it's own weight on the road. Since it was spring I stayed inside the banks to keep the gravel in the road. Easy to fix later.

M5640 Tractor Plowing 9" of Snow - YouTube

gg

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #5,537  
Thanks airbiscuit. Here is a short video my wife took plowing 9" of heavy wet snow in late March with that plow. You can see the gravel was soft and not frozen any more. I did turn up some gravel but not too bad. The flow was floating with just it's own weight on the road. Since it was spring I stayed inside the banks to keep the gravel in the road. Easy to fix later.

M5640 Tractor Plowing 9" of Snow - YouTube

gg

I hate plowing when the ground isn't frozen. Staying "inside the lines" does make it easier to clean up after the snow melts. :)

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #5,539  
Roy, just curious why did you sell the tractor?

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #5,540  
Roy, just curious why did you sell the tractor?

Couple reasons:
Curtis Cabs are OK...better then nothing and factory cabs weren't too common when the 4520 was sold in 2005
However, if you have to do work behind the instrument panel, the cab has to be removed or, at least, partially disassembled. For example, I needed to replace the fuel tank sender and the cab would require removal (per the dealer. My "fix" was just keeping the tank full
The Curtis cab had a lot of openings to the outside. In defense of Curtis cab, there may have been pieces (gaskets, corner pieces and such) installed initially (in 2005). Even with a heater, it was pretty cold and drafty.
So, a better cab was one of the reasons
No AC available (at time of installation), but the doors could come off and both the front and rear windows could be opened...
So, lack of AC was one of the reasons

Mechanically, the 4520 was great. The Deere Powertech engines are cold natured, but it did have a block heater which was used anytime the temperature was less then 30-35 degrees. So much easier on the engine. Deere uses a Yanmar engine in the newer 4xxx series tractors. I've had three Yanmar powered Deeres over the years...all started easy, even below 30 degrees...but those were all garage kept too. The 4520 (and soon to buy 4052) are too big for may garage
The 4520 was showing it's age, cosmetically...which didn't bother me. Problem was, I'm showing my age (almost 71) and comfort is a bit more important now.

If I could have kept the 4520, and bought a newer cab tractor, I would have had the Curtis Cab removed