pickup truck size

/ pickup truck size #251  
Watching Itchy Boots this morning (Ytube, in Namibia at the moment), I thought I saw a brand new Ford compact truck at a gas station.

Ford Bantam - Wikipedia

Wrong. It was at least 10 years old. Blame it on living in the rust-belt.... virtually nothing here 10 years old looks like that did :(

Individual opinions aside..... What's available mostly comes down to Charge What The Market Will Bear......

Rgds, D.

/ pickup truck size #252  
A 72 truck was junk when it was new. They still can come up with some lemons.

/ pickup truck size #253  
I still have my 2000 F150. 8ft bed so I can carry sheet goods. Slighty extended cab. Less then 80000 because of the cost of fuel. Only 2 wheel drive but she can carry. Wife will not even try to drive. Runs good!

/ pickup truck size #254  
I think it's because the cars are too small today. My dad has a 32 Ford Fordoor that is bigger than my 2014 Extended cab pickup and more luxurious inside. Now that was a car! I'm 6'2" 200 lbs. and the only cars that work for me are the Europeans that have doors that open all the way and better ergonomics. Can't understand what bigger people do if they don't have truck ...

/ pickup truck size #255  
Who got the idea that you can’t carry plywood in a 6’ bed? My truck is a 8’ bed and my other truck is a 14’ bed, but a 6’ bed will easily and safely carry 10’ material.

/ pickup truck size #256  
The truth is, they will sell you a new pu that isn't loaded to the gills and cost less...

Problem is, they don't stock them because no one buys them!

SR
The nail on the head !

Same with tractors, a certain group of buyers ask for no-frills six pot tractors with mechanical spool valves, 3pt, and manual powershift, because what it doesnt have, cant break either.

And then there is another group, those who can actually afford brand new tractors, who run 5 to 800hrs a year, who will not buy anything unless it has automatic powershift, electronic 3pt hitch control, fingertip hydraulic spools, aircon and a bluetooth radio.

If a manufacturer is to stay in business, it has to deliver what those who buy brand new products want, not what those who buy used products want....

/ pickup truck size #257  
The nail on the head !

Same with tractors, a certain group of buyers ask for no-frills six pot tractors with mechanical spool valves, 3pt, and manual powershift, because what it doesnt have, cant break either.

And then there is another group, those who can actually afford brand new tractors, who run 5 to 800hrs a year, who will not buy anything unless it has automatic powershift, electronic 3pt hitch control, fingertip hydraulic spools, aircon and a bluetooth radio.

If a manufacturer is to stay in business, it has to deliver what those who buy brand new products want, not what those who buy used products want....

Exactly, used buyer at mercy of new buyer. Guess the used buyer knows what will last 30 years easy after buying 10-15 year old machine, new buyer always has warranty or $$$ to repair.

Same as the manual trans crowd, no one bought new cause the people buying new wanted automatic.

/ pickup truck size #258  
The nail on the head !

You are correct! There is another thread about a member who bought a $40,000 tractor, kept it 10 years and put only 200 hours on it! I have no idea how anyone could keep a tractor for 10 years and only put 20 hours a year on it!
Must have skimped on house maintenance to spend that kind of money!

/ pickup truck size #259  
You are correct! There is another thread about a member who bought a $40,000 tractor, kept it 10 years and put only 200 hours on it! I have no idea how anyone could keep a tractor for 10 years and only put 20 hours a year on it!
Must have skimped on house maintenance to spend that kind of money!
Most people that frequent there forums, looking for opinion, help, etc are basically homeowners looking for a tractor to aid on propriety maintenance. So those tractors won't get much use over time.

Others just buy them as luxury and owning a orange or a green tractor, gives them some sort of status or something. Those get even fewer hours as you mentioned.

I do agree with you though. No point on spending crazy amounts of money on a fully equipment tractor with 15+ attachments that will get little to no use at all.

/ pickup truck size #260  
IMHO there are not enough curmudgeons like you and me out there to create a market. Plus many of us then drive them until they drop.... again, not a money maker for the manufacturers. We want no frills bargain basement and then we wait forever before we buy again.
Problem is the statement (not loaded to the gills) is their discretion and not the customers. A not loaded truck doesn't come with an automatic tranny. (IMHO). I would like a 4wd,long bed,standard cab,v8,manual tranny,in my choice of color. ( not a white fleet truck). That's not available in any make or model to my knowledge anyway. Why can't it be ordered? Sorry,just had to vent..

I was in this situation when I went to purchase my previous truck. I wanted a white service truck (that model, simply to minimize the options, and keep the price down)
this is the truck I was about to purchase;

TaPKgrb.jpg

Just before the salesman wrote it up, another salesman said "Did you show him the Alaskan?"

Well, that truck was loaded with work-type options, and was priced the same as the white service truck,,

D6e14Si.jpg

It is hard to remember all the options, but, they included the wheels, tires, running boards, skid plates, and WAY more,,

The biggest "PLUS" is that this was the only truck on the lot that had few options, and was painted a color other than white.

Actually, when I was planning to buy the white service truck, I had budgeted a couple thousand dollars to have a local hot rod paint shop add some custom paint features,, Buying the Alaskan saved me that cost.
The "Alaskan" was priced almost identical to the service truck,, so getting the Alaskan was a no-brainer.. for me.

From what I read, the Alaskan even has a "One-Ton" front end to better suit carrying a snow plow. The truck has several options specifically for snowplow duty.

I am happy with this truck, maybe looking for one of these special trucks might be the answer,,
The dealer really priced this truck right,, for me,,
I am still amazed at the low price I ended up paying for the Alaskan,,