pickup truck size

/ pickup truck size #1  

big bubba

Elite Member
Tractor
M8540
I've often wondered in recent years how is it that American (& foreign) full size pick up trucks have become so large, luxury laden, and overwhelmingly expensive almost requiring a 2nd mortgage to purchase. (i'm not talking about those who make a living from their pickups, just everyday owners who cruise the country, malls, & trips to Lowes...)

What is your take? this is observation only, we all have our preferences. I'm talking sheer size & price. I travel narrow dirt roads almost daily, & drive very defensively around blind curves knowing most current pickups almost aggressively consume 2/3 or more of the road while insulated with power & luxury. That's ok, but puts me at risk. Most of the time i just pull off to the side...

So has it been the result of 1) modern owners actually needing all if it? 2) or is it Americans love affair with bigger, better, & more technology laden? I also note that the size of the payload bed continues to shrink all the while. (some 4 full size door models can't even carry a sheet of ply)
Personally i feel both are true: we now use pickups for in a wider range of activities, & want having it packed into one large size. But dang, the price & size
Hey, just as a simple metaphor to compare: look at the vat sized drink tumblers now served @ fast foods. do we really need it?

On the flip side, i've also noticed that especially since '08 crash, Detroit has done an outstanding job of producing more fuel efficient & modest sized passenger vehicles...strange. So tell me about the big pickup truck size craze. Again, not dumping, just observing.
Apologize in advance if this seems like an inane post, but i'm blown away every day of what the full size pickup has now become. best regards

/ pickup truck size #2  
It started in the late seventies when woman started buying pick ups. By the mid eighties trucks were becoming 'softer', pretty paint, more comfortable, less working truck more show. Buy about 2000 they were being equipped with all the latest gadgets. Now they are behemoths with everything a luxury car has. Sad really

/ pickup truck size #4  
I've often wondered in recent years how is it that American (& foreign) full size pick up trucks have become so large, luxury laden, and overwhelmingly expensive almost requiring a 2nd mortgage to purchase. (i'm not talking about those who make a living from their pickups, just everyday owners who cruise the country, malls, & trips to Lowes...)

What is your take? this is observation only, we all have our preferences. I'm talking sheer size & price. I travel narrow dirt roads almost daily, & drive very defensively around blind curves knowing most current pickups almost aggressively consume 2/3 or more of the road while insulated with power & luxury. That's ok, but puts me at risk. Most of the time i just pull off to the side...

So has it been the result of 1) modern owners actually needing all if it? 2) or is it Americans love affair with bigger, better, & more technology laden? I also note that the size of the payload bed continues to shrink all the while. (some 4 full size door models can't even carry a sheet of ply)
Personally i feel both are true: we now use pickups for in a wider range of activities, & want having it packed into one large size. But dang, the price & size
Hey, just as a simple metaphor to compare: look at the vat sized drink tumblers now served @ fast foods. do we really need it?

On the flip side, i've also noticed that especially since '08 crash, Detroit has done an outstanding job of producing more fuel efficient & modest sized passenger vehicles...strange. So tell me about the big pickup truck size craze. Again, not dumping, just observing.
Apologize in advance if this seems like an inane post, but i'm blown away every day of what the full size pickup has now become. best regards
I also think inflation is outstripping wage increases for some swaths of the pickup buying public. While its true they come with more luxury, the higher price tag is unaffordable to many.
When I bought my Ram 5500 last year, the dealer told me they are offering up to 10 year financing! Thats insane! But a sign of the times.
Wages not keeping up!

/ pickup truck size #5  
Just coming out....the Ford Maverick and the Hyundai Santa Cruz are small cut trucks.
Yeah, those look about the size of the pick up trucks here in Europe.

Here is a picture of my 2010 Mitsubishi L200. 2.5 liter engine with 180hp. Around 30 MPG empty and 17 MPG towing about 5800 lbs. It's not, not huge but it just squeezes on some of our tight roads.

IMG_20200704_174902_2.jpg

Last edited:
   / pickup truck size #6  
If I could only find a new 72 Chevy Cheyenne C-20 350 auto 4 x 4 with air. I would be one happy camper.

/ pickup truck size #7  
My wife and I have his and her trucks; you couldn't get her into anything else than a truck.

/ pickup truck size #8  
It started in the late seventies when woman started buying pick ups. By the mid eighties trucks were becoming 'softer', pretty paint, more comfortable, less working truck more show. Buy about 2000 they were being equipped with all the latest gadgets. Now they are behemoths with everything a luxury car has. Sad really
Well seeing as women only make up 15% of the truck purchasing demographic…I would disagree on this one. No way the industry changes to get at 15% of their sales base. They go after the 85%…which are males. What has happened is auto manufacturers needed to appeal to city folk…because that was an untapped market and represented the most capital to spend On new vehicles. So they added luxury and sold millions of trucks to people that will use the bed 2 times a year, and probably never tow anything. Smart.

/ pickup truck size #9  
If I could only find a new 72 Chevy Cheyenne C-20 350 auto 4 x 4 with air. I would be one happy camper.
Ya 10mpg if you are lucky;new trucks mostly get double that.The small modern trucks are not that much smaller than full size and don't get much better mileage.