Picked up a trailer this weekend

/ Picked up a trailer this weekend #11  
The garage down the street rents out a 7500 rail car trailer for $65 a day…

I see it all the time coming and going… he only rents to customers and never does the pulling.

Some months it brings in more than a $1000 which isn’t bad for a trailer he paid $1600 new in the 80’s…

The lights are recessed in heavy pipe so no damage… really just tires and once a year he pulls the wheels check brakes.

I loaned my PJ to a friend’s son and it came back damaged… story is the pin for the tongue Jack dropped and caught and it twisted the cross member and bent the Jack.

The dad and grandfathered helped me a lot over the years so it is what it is.

/ Picked up a trailer this weekend #12  
I don't let my 14,000 lb trailer go without me and my pickup. A $100 minimum for twenty mile haul and $1.50 per mile after that.
For that price I would ask you to haul my TO35 home this summer. I expect it will cost me $5-600 for 200 miles, unless I buy a trailer.
Oh man, what a BARGAIN!!!

I had my CAT 977K hauled home. 8 miles for just over $500.

Of course the auctioneer messed up with the model and it was a little heavier than I expected.

I would like to be able to use it elsewhere, and not have it stuck here, but it will be more complicated to get it mobile.

/ Picked up a trailer this weekend #13  
You won’t make any money with a 14k trailer. You can’t legally haul for hire. Legally there’s a big difference in hauling something you own vs getting paid to haul it. The same thing is true for renting. I guess you could rent it but the rental yard rents them for like $65. I’d rather let their trailer get destroyed for such little gains.

/ Picked up a trailer this weekend #14  
Oh man, what a BARGAIN!!!

I had my CAT 977K hauled home. 8 miles for just over $500.

Of course the auctioneer messed up with the model and it was a little heavier than I expected.

I would like to be able to use it elsewhere, and not have it stuck here, but it will be more complicated to get it mobile.

There’s a substantial price difference in hauling a tractor that weighs 3200 pounds and a 977. You can expect to pay at least $300 to get a lowboy to move across the parking lot and $175 an hour beyond that.

/ Picked up a trailer this weekend #15  
If you were looking to make money with your trailer you would do better with a deck over trailer. Your wheel wells will limit what you can or can't haul well when it comes to placement and weight distribution. Almost all hot shots that pick up at my company are deck over trailers. Any type of vehicle or equipment hauling would be OK. Lots of liability issues to consider with any of it though.

Any of my hauling jobs for anyone else has been for friends or family, which are favors rather than for financial gain. I had also considered hot shot loads in my free time in the past but my work schedule changed and no longer have the time. I used to work 4 days on, 4 days off and could have made it work with my off days. Now I'm a typical Monday-Friday schedule. I would think it would have to be almost a full-time gig to be profitable.

/ Picked up a trailer this weekend #16  
Thanks! I was wondering if there was any money hauling for people, even maybe just local stuff. I recently started up a landscaping business that I am working evenings and weekends. Trying to get back to full time self employment again and looking at every possible avenue.
That avenue will cost you in licensing (CDL Class B at least) and you'll be subject to DOT inspections as well so time to buy chains or straps and get familiar with load securement. I won a class 8 tractor trailer (Western Star tandem axle with a big cat and an 18 speed as well as a 42 foot Timpte hopper bottom grain trailer as well as a Kauffman 28 foot beaver tail gooseneck and between the licensing and the insurance and the fuel and everything else, I might break even but I like driving big and bigger trucks and I hold a Class 8 CDL with all endorsements but Haz-Mat.

/ Picked up a trailer this weekend #17  
How in the world do you find the time to do all the things you are involved in on a daily basis? I had no idea you fabbed custom parts for motorcycles and now I find out you drive trucks too. I had a class 3 CDL which is the same thing as that class 8 I think. I had all 8 endorsements. That thing was a pain to keep up to date(especially the medical) so I let it lapse. Heck, I have a hard time finding time to cut my grass.

/ Picked up a trailer this weekend #18  
If I don't stay busy at 74 and battling cancer for 7 years now and a very understanding wife whom I credit with keeping me on this side of the dirt (I'd be planted now if it wasn't for her and her dedication to my welfare). I've had some terrible times in the last seven years, lots of pain and lots of surgeries but I keep on going. All the medical people I deal with constantly tell me I have the right attitude. We all get our turn eventually, we come into this world, naked and afraid and we all leave the same way.

I've made my peace with the Lord and I thank him for every day he allows me to be here. Every venture I've gotten into, I've always managed to come out on top, except this cancer thing and eventually, it will be my demise but for now, we keep on plugging along.

At 74, I've slowed down a bit, but not too much and when people see me, even today, they all say I don't look my age. Inside, I feel my age however. Been a rough 7 years for me. I don't wish what I deal with on anyone. in fact, right now, I'm wearing an infusion pump getting my chemotherapy, I do it every 2 weeks, hospital then 2 days with the pump. Keeps me going and hopefully they will find a cure before my time is up.

Everyone has cancer inside of them, everyone. What triggers it is still a mystery however.

All about attitude 100% and staying busy always helps. Been retired since I was 57 after 29 years of driving a big truck for a company that actually took care of their employees. Even today, I'm still good friends with not only the owners but most of the managers I worked for and I still hunt with 2 of them. Didn't hunt last year except locally, no out west trips as I was dealing with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma on top of everything else, which I beat btw.

Coming on here and a few other forums, gives me an outlet to the fantasy world of the Internet, which I enjoy and gets me away from the reality of everything else. This is my personal medicine to help me keep going. This and my very dedicated wife.

Was up early this morning as the pump and the infusion of the 'chemo' keeps me awake. I get it off today and then 2 weeks of rest and I do it again. 3 more times and then a PET scan to see what is transpiring inside of me. I always hope it will be a good scan and I deal with the same oncologist I've dealt with for the last 7 years, him and Cleveland Clinic, I have to distinct medical teams, one here (Ypsilanti) and one in Cleveland as well.

if it wasn't for my wife and her retirement from the DOD, we'd be living in a cardboard box under a bridge somewhere. If I told you how much my hospital bills were, you'd faint. Lets just say I could put a heck of a dent in the National Debt.

I may be here now, but tomorrow is a crap shoot and that applies to everyone, you, me and everyone else. Life is fleeting so enjoy it because it's not infinite. Only the Lord lives forever.

Enough said on that. Have a blessed day, I'm going to.