Petrogen torches???

/ Petrogen torches??? #2  
They only mention cutting...no welding. If cutting was all I was interested in, propane might be a better way to go.

You didn't hurt yourself by going with acetylene. The only real limitation acetylene has is the rate of emptying the bottle...not supposed to use more than 1/7th of the bottle capacity per hour. Rosebud tips can get you into that territory.

/ Petrogen torches??? #3  
I looked at oxy/gasoline at one point. Didn't like the idea. Gasoline spills are harder to deal with than propane leaks.

I stick to propane for cutting & heating and acetylene for welding. (when I'm not using electricity for welding that is...) Never have to worry about how fast I'm draining the tank that way. As long as you make sure your hoses are rated for both, you can even get away with just swapping the tip & the tank to go between cutting and welding.

/ Petrogen torches??? #4  
cp1969 said:
If cutting was all I was interested in, propane might be a better way to go.

Do please enlighten me. I am most interested in cutting, bending, etc.

Is this Oxy-propane you're talking about? I had thought that propane wouldn't get hot enough for any of this, but I have only really use straight propane, nothing else.

/ Petrogen torches??? #5  
Propane doesn't do much for welding, but if you want to cut & heat, tips are available for your regular O/A torches. You'll use more oxygen when cutting with propane.

As long as your hoses are rated for propane you can put your acetylene regulator on a propane tank, change to a propane tip & enjoy...

/ Petrogen torches??? #6  
Iplayfarmer said:
Do please enlighten me. I am most interested in cutting, bending, etc.

Is this Oxy-propane you're talking about? I had thought that propane wouldn't get hot enough for any of this, but I have only really use straight propane, nothing else.

Oxy acetylene gets to 6300F or so. Oxy Propane gets up to 5300F or so and steel melts at 2750, so oxy propane is plenty hot to cut with. Propane is exceptionally good for heating because it's less expensive and you don't have to worry about the 1/7th rule that applies to acetylene.

I think all you need to use propane on your oxy acetylene rig is a different tips and maybe a different fuel regulator. I know the acetylene regulator would not fit a propane tank and I think a propane tank has much higher pressure.

/ Petrogen torches??? #7  
Actually...

An acetylene regulator is a perfect fit on a standard propane tank. I use a 2-stage acetylene regulator for my setup.

/ Petrogen torches??? #8  
I bought a set of small victor torches about 4 years ago and have been using them exclusively with OXY/Propane. All good so far.
A 20 lb tank of propane will last me thru about 6-8 tanks of OXY when cutting scrap.

/ Petrogen torches??? #9  
Darryl,
I spent some time researching the gasoline setup and really liked what I read but I did not buy the unit and do not know of anyone that has had experience with the setup. If what is said about it on the Internet is true and it will meet your needs I would go for it. Let us know if you do. It is a real pain running out of fuel on a weekend and trying to find a supplier that is open is near impossible. Lots of gas stations are open 24 hours.

/ Petrogen torches??? #10  
I'm glad to finally find another human being on the planet that knows what a Rosebud heating tip is. Around here people think your're talking about a flower. One of my co-worker was talkiing about getting a full set of wrenchs, yep clear up to 3/4". He said he didn't know what he would do with such big wrench's though. bjr