pesticide warning signs

/ pesticide warning signs #1  

Robert_in_NY

Tractor
Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554
I've been searching online but keep finding the same signs or variations of the same signs. What I am looking for is a sign that warns people that pesticides can be used at any given time. I have a vineyard block that is right next to a house with kids. The people are nice enough from my dealings but the boys are constantly playing on my driveway and in the vineyard there. They have their picnic table set up right on the boundary (30' from the end posts of the vineyard) and the entire family pretty much hangs out there from spring through fall. I am putting posted signs up on the boundary but also wanted to put warning signs up to discourage the kids from playing in the vineyard. I have no obligation to talk to them and give them heads ups about when I am spraying, what I am spraying and what the re-entry interval is since their not suppose to be in the vineyard anyway. I don't mind the kids playing on the driveway and I spray this particular section early in the morning so as to not have to worry about them sitting at the picnic table (they won't move when they see me pull in unless I get out and ask them to, not the sharpest crayons in the box). So there is a real good chance they won't know I have sprayed that area.

I would love to find a sign warning that pesticides can be used at any given time as that would be ideal. If there isn't any already on the market I will look into having some made up at the sign shop. The other option is to go with a "Pesticides in use: Do not Enter" sign and hang them during the spray season then take them down when I am done with the last sprays and the REI is cleared. Most people would avoid playing in or near a vineyard when they know we spray every 10-14 days but not these people. I only have two vineyard blocks that are near houses so these are the only areas I am concerned with putting signs up. Just an additional warning that hopefully will scare people more then the "Posted: No Trespassing" signs I currently have in place. The signs are more to protect me then anything else. This way if some one goes into my vineyard or onto my property without permission and gets sick or injured then I can say they were not suppose to be there anyway.

/ pesticide warning signs #2  
Just go to a neighborhood sign shop and have them make you some signs with exactly the words that you want. Or find an online sign shop. It seems that using the right words would be important.

/ pesticide warning signs #3  
Robert I did sign painting on the side for many years. One local farmer who was a customer of mine had much the same problem in his corn field where kids loved to play. He simply wanted signs that said "pesticides being sprayed" He did not care where or when he was doing this. He simply thought "If I'm using sprays, then they're being sprayed"

/ pesticide warning signs #4  
We just use the basic Danger Pesticide Keep Out signs at the apple orchard. It meets the requirements for our annual state GAP inspection. We post them at each access point. They stay up until harvest.

/ pesticide warning signs #5  
We use the same signs DFB posted.

Our Local Wilbur Ellis has 'em for sale, and I have seen them for sale in the Grainger catalog.

/ pesticide warning signs #7  
I would put signs up like you said and use them all "spray season". Have a sign made up that says Pesticide in use from, then have a spot where you could put those little stick-on nylon letters that you can change each year or just leave them permanant if you only spray one period every year.. Read something like "Pesticide in Use ... April 20- Jun 8 " or something like that. That way there is no confusion from a sign that "they think was forgotton" and left up.

/ pesticide warning signs #8  
I would put signs up like you said and use them all "spray season". Have a sign made up that says Pesticide in use from, then have a spot where you could put those little stick-on nylon letters that you can change each year or just leave them permanant if you only spray one period every year.. Read something like "Pesticide in Use ... April 20- Jun 8 " or something like that. That way there is no confusion from a sign that "they think was forgotton" and left up.
I would just use months, ie: "Warning, pesticides and other nasty chemicals in use from April to September"

Aaron Z

/ pesticide warning signs #10  
Are there legal requirements for the sign? In NC, to have land legally posted, there are specific requirements for the no trespass sign. Is there such a requirement for spraying?

Make sure the sign is understandable. A house down the road has a couple of signs up in the yard. For years I thought the signs were telling people to keep their dogs from pooping in the yard. :shocked::laughing::laughing::laughing: I found out that the signs are telling people to not spray chemicals on their land. Yeah, you read that right. Not real sure WHY they think someone is going to spray their house lot with chemicals but they do. :confused3: If someone WAS going to spray chemicals on their land the signs sure would not help given that I thought the signs were trying to keep dogs from pooping on the lot. :D:D:D

Later,
Dan