Pallet fork bust

/ Pallet fork bust #21  
What loader do you have Arrow?

Artillian has a set of pin-on forks that should fit your loader: Pallet Fork Sets

-How much ballast do you have on the back?
-Have you checked the pressure with a gauge?
-Just a guess, but the shim kit for a 790 may be close enough to use, but get a gauge if you dont already have one!

/ Pallet fork bust #22  
I've been doing something similar for the last three years. It does make managing firewood much easier.
Wood skids are about 42 inches square so two are a little less than a cord. I love these things. Stackable when taken apart. Just have to add 2 more 2x4's to the bottom. See pics

I thought about doing them this way...but the fact of the situation was that I could get the other 3 pallets free and your method required about $5 of lumber. :laughing:

You might want to check your math. You have closer to 1/3 cord on those pallets.

Either way, we are both WAY too heavy for his loader setup.

ac

/ Pallet fork bust #23  
I just take two pallets and cut each one in half, then screw them together in a square shaped frame. Fasten some old plywood accross the back to close it off and stiffen it up.
I have about 6-8 of these that I fill in the fall with small wood for sap boiling in the spring.
My household wood just gets dumped into the snow bucket from the pile in the woodshed and then carried to the house where it gets stacked for use....

/ Pallet fork bust
What loader do you have Arrow?

Artillian has a set of pin-on forks that should fit your loader: Pallet Fork Sets

-How much ballast do you have on the back?
-Have you checked the pressure with a gauge?
-Just a guess, but the shim kit for a 790 may be close enough to use, but get a gauge if you dont already have one!

Thanks Ken. My 67 loader is only good for around 800# My hoses are rated to 2250# . I bought the shims to boost loader capacity but I do not think I can use all 4 of them as this is alleged to get to 2500#. JD or I should say Yanmar used metric connections or else I would go to Tractor Supply and get a mess of sae hoses as those are rated to 3000#. I wonder if there is an adapter fitting to go from metric to sae fittings? At any rate, I built these forks for only $135 and as I constantly use the bucket, I wanted some easy on and off forks. I can drop these and pick them up without getting off the tractor. I did not know I'd lose so much lift hence hoping the shims make it a bit better.`

/ Pallet fork bust #25  
MIkeWard said:
I've been doing something similar for the last three years. It does make managing firewood much easier.
Wood skids are about 42 inches square so two are a little less than a cord. I love these things. Stackable when taken apart. Just have to add 2 more 2x4's to the bottom. See pics

I figure them at 1/3 cord each?

/ Pallet fork bust #26  
I figure them at 1/3 cord each?

Yes 1/3 cord is about right.
When they're loaded with oak or locust I can only lift them 10 inches off the ground. When seasoned they are probably 1/3 lighter.

Mike

/ Pallet fork bust #27  
Real interesting the way you guys handle wood.:cool: I thought about a different way but . ..after dealing with wood for so many years i guess "OLD HABITS" are hard to break. Most years i cut and skid my logs into 25 cord piles. When i cut it, it then goes to the splitter then directly to the woodshed I have several ways of hauling it. I can load my dump trailor with about 3.5 cord (first in line) The Kubota 900 takes about 3/4 cord (if the wood is straight grained) then finish the run with a heavy half cord in the bucket. I have to admit i don't make cutting wood "work" I do 12 cord for us and 25 cord for my Uncle. Couple days and were done. Got to admit though the Kubota is the most fun part of it all but . . . you very easily could get side tracked or easily go a stray with it . .HA HA! .. .Been processing wood for close to 40 years now . . . John :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Attachments

• logpile.jpg
    logpile.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 151
  • just playing around.jpg
    just playing around.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 182
  • moto_0243.jpg
    moto_0243.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 151
  • building the woodshed 3.jpg
    building the woodshed 3.jpg
    468.3 KB · Views: 183
  • wood shed action - Copy.jpg
    wood shed action - Copy.jpg
    861.2 KB · Views: 238
  • moving wood.jpg
    moving wood.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 194
  • New Furnace and woodshed 013.jpg
    New Furnace and woodshed 013.jpg
    653.9 KB · Views: 162
   / Pallet fork bust #28  
Real interesting the way you guys handle wood.:cool: I thought about a different way but . ..after dealing with wood for so many years i guess "OLD HABITS" are hard to break. Most years i cut and skid my logs into 25 cord piles. When i cut it, it then goes to the splitter then directly to the woodshed I have several ways of hauling it. I can load my dump trailor with about 3.5 cord (first in line) The Kubota 900 takes about 3/4 cord (if the wood is straight grained) then finish the run with a heavy half cord in the bucket. I have to admit i don't make cutting wood "work" I do 12 cord for us and 25 cord for my Uncle. Couple days and were done. Got to admit though the Kubota is the most fun part of it all but . . . you very easily could get side tracked or easily go a stray with it . .HA HA! .. .Been processing wood for close to 40 years now . . . John :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You must have a heck of a measurement for a "cord". 3.5 cords of wood in a single axle dump trailer? I don't think so.

Your UTV looks like it has MAYBE 1/2 cord in it in that picture. The bucket MAYBE 1/4.

A cord is 128 cubic feet. That is a definition like a "foot" is equal to 12 "inches".

ac

/ Pallet fork bust #30  
Real interesting the way you guys handle wood.:

Wow, picture #7 looks of the bucket looks like a whole lot more work waiting to happen if you stop or start too fast... :laughing: