Pallet fork bust

/ Pallet fork bust #1  

arrow

Tractor
Mahindra 3016
Having gotten sick of stacking the wood for drying and then unstacking and bringing the wood into the woodshed, I thought to go to a more efficient way of handling and that was moving the wood on pallets. Or so I thought. I built these easy on-off pallet forks to carry all the wood you see in the pictures. The pallets are 36"x40" with the wood retaining uprights at 3' measured from ground level. I could only stack the wood 2' high to get any lift at all. At this rate, I'd have to make or get 60 pallets to store 6 cord of firewood. With the help of a very accommodating TBN member, I attempted to order the shim kit for the JD 750. $3.16 for the kit and $16.38 to mail them to my house. My local JD dealer is of no help as he states they are unattainable. Just wondering where everybody else got their kits if indeed they are still available.

Attachments

• P1082100.jpg
    P1082100.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 992
  • PC042080.jpg
    PC042080.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 701
  • PC042078.jpg
    PC042078.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 717
   / Pallet fork bust #2  
Slick trick with the pallets, that should make life easier! I didn't realize you could increase the pressure on a 750. Hope it works even better for you, after you get it installed. I really liked both of the 750's that I have owned.

/ Pallet fork bust #3  
Use a carryall on your 3pt hitch. I think it will lift a whole lot more than the fel.

/ Pallet fork bust #4  
This is what i do with pallets. Had a local guy build these for me. Round the top of 'em it equals 1/2 cord.

Attachments

• pallets of wood..jpg
    pallets of wood..jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 1,303
   / Pallet fork bust #5  
This is what i do with pallets. Had a local guy build these for me. Round the top of 'em it equals 1/2 cord.

How big a tractor? My Boomer 2220 would never pick up a half cord on a 4' deep pallet.

Last year I would bring it in about 1/4 cord at a time, about a weeks worth. I have a pallet jack in the shop so it was a matter of setting the pallet on the slab and wheeling it to the stove room with the jack. Now, it is even easier. I have these two puppies that I keep full weekly, so they rotate. All the wood gets to sit in the stove room for a week before it hits the stove. Take the rack out, load it, the narrow build keeps the weight close to the tractor for more stability. Roll the racks from the center of the shop to the stove room. Slick!

Now if I could find enough of them to preload my entire winters worth of wood. :D

I also keep a couple stacks of "crap" wood, poplar and pine, just outside the door to steal from on warmer days and weekends. Also are these three racks of big chunks that I keep ready for when, or should I say if, we get a real cold snap or I have a lazy weekend where I really don't feel like recharging the steel racks.

Attachments

• DSCF4291.JPG
    DSCF4291.JPG
    902.1 KB · Views: 468
  • DSCF4287.JPG
    DSCF4287.JPG
    865.6 KB · Views: 545
  • DSCF4289.JPG
    DSCF4289.JPG
    905 KB · Views: 657
   / Pallet fork bust #6  
TN75. Can't remember lift capacity but it runs around with the pallets of wood. Yeah, I'm spoiled. pile the wood on the pallets right off of the splitter. Sits outside for a year or more, than mid November put at least 10 pallets in under cover. I got a heck of a deal on the tractor. Plus the fact it's 6 inches shorter than my garage door, I couldn't resist buying it.

/ Pallet fork bust
Nice unit Haymaker. Nothing quite like a hot air furnace. If I could, I'd just leave the wood right on the ground for a year then bring it into the wood shed but I doubt some of the underneath pieces would dry. I got taken aback when I thought my loader would easily pick up a 40"x36" rack of wood since it picks up stems like it can but surprise,surprise.....it can't. I wanted to do what flying cow did but I cannot get the loader much beyond a couple feet with the load. I hate to say it but it seems I'm back to the old way.

/ Pallet fork bust #8  
Could remove your bucket and attach the forks to end of loader.

Make up frame to attach the forks to 3 point linkage, the same frame to use on FEL.

/ Pallet fork bust #9  
I do the firewood pallet thing with my BX24. Found the 3 point hitch will lift a lot more than the FEL. I've also found that after a year of seasoning the FEL forks will lift a pallet load that only the 3 point could lift while green.

So- Since the BH has to come off to use the rear forks, I split and stack on a bunch of pallets to move them all same day to where they season.
Once seasoned I move them one at a time to the house for use in the woodstove, since I can put my FEL forks on in a few seconds compared to 10+ minutes to remove BH and install 3 point hitch parts then rear forks.

/ Pallet fork bust #10  
Here is how I roll.

ac

Attachments

• IMAG0043.jpg
    IMAG0043.jpg
    549.7 KB · Views: 642
  • IMAG0044.jpg
    IMAG0044.jpg
    1,007.9 KB · Views: 971
  • IMAG0046.jpg
    IMAG0046.jpg