Painting(?) 3 point parts

/ Painting(?) 3 point parts #1  

dnw64

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030 Cab
I broke the casting on the 3 point tilt adjust arm and bought a new one. It came in unpainted. Was planning to just wipe down with alcohol or so, then prime and paint with Rustoleum spray. But I'm wondering if the original was powder coated - it gets a fair amount of exposure and "abuse"...

Or am I making a mountain out of a mole hill?

2019-04-01 14.46.48s.jpg

/ Painting(?) 3 point parts #2  
I use rustoleum on implements and parts but I brush it on instead of spray. I think it lasts longer.

/ Painting(?) 3 point parts #3  
I would prime it. I heat it with a propane torch til it's nice and warm and spray it.

/ Painting(?) 3 point parts #4  
If the manufacture left oil on it, alcohol will not cut it. Use paint thinner, or better yet, a mixture of thinner and acetone. Just for cleaning parts I keep a bottle of that handy with a 30/70 mix of that. The paint thinner is the 70% part and I also wear gloves handling it.

Last edited:
   / Painting(?) 3 point parts #5  
Same here, but I usually use brake cleaner on a cotton rag to clean a part before painting (rattle can or brush). Paint will at least be able to be touched up. TS usually carries rattle cans with tractor paints that match pretty well.

I've also never knew that 3pt hitch equipment should be dry, so I liberally apply Fluid Film to the hitch components. So I wash and re-lube pretty regularly that that helps to keep the rust down and the paint on.

/ Painting(?) 3 point parts
I would prime it. I heat it with a propane torch til it's nice and warm and spray it.

If the manufacture left oil on it, alcohol will not cut it. Use paint thinner, or better yet, a mixture of thinner and acetone. Just for cleaning parts I keep a bottle of that handy with a 30/70 mix of that. The paint thinner is the 70% part and I also wear gloves handling it.

Thanks for the tips!

/ Painting(?) 3 point parts #7  
I like to warm up parts before painting like atsah. I found those 1500watt (give or take) heat guns would quite well for that and lots of other little jobs around the shop as well.

/ Painting(?) 3 point parts #8  
I find acetone works well for cleaning oily, greasy parts. It is carcinogenic - wear gloves.

/ Painting(?) 3 point parts #9  
A bit off topic.

I remove my B26 BH every fall and install a Pronovost snowblower. The blower is the only three point attachment I have so I sometimes go up to six months between installing and removing the three point hitch. After wasting time remembering what goes where, and which end is which, I decided to colour code the ends of all the parts. Installing my three point hitch is now almost idiot proof :laughing:. Red goes to red, yellow goes to yellow etc.

/ Painting(?) 3 point parts #10  
I like to warm up parts before painting like atsah. I found those 1500watt (give or take) heat guns would quite well for that and lots of other little jobs around the shop as well.

Yes I have a nice Porter Cable 1500 watt that works as well..