Paint - Majic or Rust-oleum ?

/ Paint - Majic or Rust-oleum ? #1  

dkmc

Bronze Member
Tractor
1957 IH 330, Mustang 342. Woods Zero Turn, Forklifts, Machine Tools, Welders,
Please share opinions about which brand is better than the other.
Maybe this is a Chevy-Ford question?

/ Paint - Majic or Rust-oleum ? #2  
I'm a fan of Rustoleum for painting metal. Second choice is POR-15, especially for areas that will never see a second coat in the future, (like a truck/trailer frame).

/ Paint - Majic or Rust-oleum ? #3  
For me, Rustoleum in spray cans or quarts seems to cover much better (more titanium dioxide) in it, I presume plus the color match on my Kubota's is much better. Used to use the Majic stuff but switched to Rustoleum a couple years ago. Dries quicker too. Of course today, none of it is a cheap date. The cans went from 6 bucks to nine bucks recently.

/ Paint - Majic or Rust-oleum ?
Forklift so it will be out in the sun. I've used Majic years ago but seem to see more complaints about it in recent years. I assume hardener is worth the money? I'll buy a gallon of paint.

/ Paint - Majic or Rust-oleum ? #5  
I would prefer Rustoleum.

/ Paint - Majic or Rust-oleum ? #6  
For something "important" I like PPG AUE 300. It's what I used one the DIY L33200 cab, snowblower, a rear blade and a few other thingsd.

For other things I've had OK luck with both Majic and Rustoleum 2-part paint.

EDIT TO ADD - At work we had a few projctes where we used Tenmec (forget the exact product). IIRC, it was slow drying and held up extremely well. We used it on structural stuff, so I'm not sure how nice a finish can be achieved on nice metal.

/ Paint - Majic or Rust-oleum ? #7  
I have found Rustoleum in quarts or gallons seems to be higher in solids, so it covers better than Majic. To spray it I thin it down with enamel reducer and add a little bit of hardener.

/ Paint - Majic or Rust-oleum ? #8  
Rustoleum also has a distinctly different smell and Majic but I do use their hardener in the Rustoleum.

/ Paint - Majic or Rust-oleum ? #9  
Quality of any paint directly hinges on the amount of Titanium Dioxide in it, why it's the first thing I look at when buying any paint and that includes Latex as well. The higher the content, the better it 'hides'.

/ Paint - Majic or Rust-oleum ? #10  
The higher the VOC’s in the paint the better coverage and longer lasting
Last year I purchased a few gallons of RustOleum to paint my 20 x 40 old pole barn, those gallons had a VOC component of 450, this year that same paint is no longer available in my state plus 12 other states.
The paint that is available now in my state has a VOC of 400
I guess time will tell how the lower VOC paints will hold up especially to weathering