Overheard conversation!!!!

/ Overheard conversation!!!! #151  
The Davis/Bacon Act was the biggest boondoggle I've seen. Nothing against great wages for a superior job but when forced to pay Davis/Bacon for shoddy, half-azzed work really irritated me. 8 schools built, all D/B and they are crap! When Gov't is involved prices quadruple.
Not to mention all the extra paperwork. If I miss tagging one of my guys time sheets for DB wages I do not hear the end of it due to all the extra paperwork raining down.

Last edited:
   / Overheard conversation!!!! #152  
I like this concept but I would go a step further...
Every penny spent by the gov. comes from people that actually pay income tax...I think that if a person does not actually pay income tax they should not be able to vote for the people/positions that are responsible for spending those tax monies...

It would be hard to state a credible case against this ^^^^

/ Overheard conversation!!!! #153  
The columns by the excellent George Will are behind a paywall at the Washington Post and I do not subscribe. However, Don Boudreaux has posted the conclusion of his latest column -- Some Links - Cafe Hayek.

Screenshot 2018-02-04 at 10.17.32 AM.png

Steve

/ Overheard conversation!!!! #155  
Every penny spent by the gov. comes from people that actually pay income tax....

OP Down Under lead with a street-level conversation about Robbing Peter to pay Paul. The problem is way bigger, unfortunately. The real world is a zero-sum-game, in the end.

Not all pennies are equal. I'll leave the professional analysis to Steve.... I look at it this way.... You can't "gear-up" a 50hp engine to drive a 100hp generator.

Rising public-sector employment can give a temporary illusion of prosperity, just like a driveway full of shiny toys.....

Rgds, D.

/ Overheard conversation!!!! #156  
Is that from Selma Hayek ?

The Hayek in question is Friedrich (deceased) rather than Salma. I am not familiar with her writings and so cannot comment on her qualifications as an economist, but she is certainly easier on the eyes than Friedrich.

salama-hayek_032217.jpg
hayek-color.jpg

Steve

/ Overheard conversation!!!! #159  
OP Down Under lead with a street-level conversation about Robbing Peter to pay Paul. The problem is way bigger, unfortunately. The real world is a zero-sum-game, in the end.

Not all pennies are equal. I'll leave the professional analysis to Steve.... I look at it this way.... You can't "gear-up" a 50hp engine to drive a 100hp generator.

Rising public-sector employment can give a temporary illusion of prosperity, just like a driveway full of shiny toys.....

Rgds, D.
Economic analysis is like religion...it all depends on which version one puts their faith in...personally the more self righteous the less faith I have in them...

/ Overheard conversation!!!! #160  

You can use a 50hp engine to run a 100hp generator head, you just can't pull more than 50hp worth of electricity out of it.
:D
Aaron Z