"Outsider" question

/ "Outsider" question #1  

JDGREEN4ME

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 2520, John Deere X534, GT 225, GT 275
How many of you guys owned one of the "Big 3" before you bought your Mahindra? How do you feel they compare? I had a JD but sold it a year ago due to the fact we were done clearing our property. At some point we will need to have another tractor and the cost is going to be a consideration. Thank you for any insight, plan to test drive one in the near future.

/ "Outsider" question #2  
Over the last 35+ years I've owned John Deere, International Harvestor, Case, Massey Fergusion and Long tractors. Almost all very bought new, but that was several years ago (use to be a dairy farmer). In 2003, I bought a Mahindra 4X4 6500. With the exceptoion of the hydraulics, I have been exceptionally pleased with this machine. It is extremely rugged. About 70% of my use is skidding out logs. I'll make a very bold statement: "With the exception of a Zetor, I seriously doubt there is any other tractor in the 65 hp range that can begin to pull what the 6500 does. I've only got about 400 hours on it. With the exception of the first 50 hours and the time to travel into the woods, this tractor is under serious stress!!! You don't need a spec. sheet to tell you where torgue maxes out. It right above 1,400 rpm. I have a bucket loader with grapple and the suit case weights attached. In second gear, going up hill with good traction (dry or frozen ground), the front end will start lifting slightly but she (or he) never has died. I got to tell you though that while your climbing that hill you can watch the temperature gage rise (not to the danger zone, but pretty close). A few minute at the landing brings it right down.

**** good tractor at a **** of a good price. Thats what globization is all about!!!

Bob

/ "Outsider" question #3  
P.S. The 65 hp Kioti should also have similar draft pull.

Bob

/ "Outsider" question #4  
I grew up on JDs (60, 730 and 720 2 cyl, a couple of 5020's and a 2020), one large Case (don't remember the model), one 806 IH, and a smallish Moline. Currently I still have the 730 and 720 2 cyls and a 4320 we bought several years ago.
I bought a 5005 Mahindra back in 2000. It is the main loader tractor I use today. It is a little small at 50hp for some of my projects but it has been fairly sturdy. I did have to spend some $$$ on the hydraulics but I am still WAY ahead of what a similar JD cost at the time.
The 720 pretty much stays hooked to the 7' rough cut BushHog shredder and the 4320 pulls the 12'7" cutting disc and the 21' "pulverizing" disc. The Mahindra hauls 5x6 hay bales of hay, runs the 6' shredder, pulls the Grademaster and landscape rake for the driveway, drives the fencerow sprayer and moves trailers around w/ my homemade trailer hitch.

OH, the 730? it is awaiting rebuild by me and my 7 year old son. I think a piston skirt came apart on it a few years ago.

/ "Outsider" question #5  
I farmed with my Dad and Grandad before joining the Navy they pretty much bled persian orange, ran a CA, WD, WD45, D17, and a 200 AC then along with a few JD's, IH's and Ford's when I retired from the Navy I farmed for awhile and had a 7000 AC a 1365 Oliver and a 6060 AC along with the 1910 Ford I sold when I got my 4110 Mahindra.
I really like the Mahindra it really fits me and what I am doing now, the only thing that would have been better is if you could still buy a real Allis Chalmers that is the same size as the 4110.
Jeff

/ "Outsider" question #6  
JDGREEN4ME said:
How many of you guys owned one of the "Big 3" before you bought your Mahindra? How do you feel they compare? I had a JD but sold it a year ago due to the fact we were done clearing our property. At some point we will need to have another tractor and the cost is going to be a consideration. Thank you for any insight, plan to test drive one in the near future.

We've had just about every brand there is here on the farm, except Kubota, and the Mahindra runs as well or better than all of them.