OTC hearing aids

/ OTC hearing aids #11  
Good info here. Got a couple questions...how comfortable are the in-ear ones? I find the earplug "walkman" style headphones kind of annoying, and they don't seem to stay in place very well. Sure wouldn't want to spend that kind of $$ and have them constantly falling out.
Also, what do they mean by "music compatible"? Does it mean wider frequency response or something else?
What about battery replacement, or do the aids require replacement once the internal battery doesn't hold a charge anymore?
There was mention of tuning. What is that, and do you need a cellphone to do it (I don't have one)?

/ OTC hearing aids #12  
Good info here. Got a couple questions...how comfortable are the in-ear ones? I find the earplug "walkman" style headphones kind of annoying, and they don't seem to stay in place very well. Sure wouldn't want to spend that kind of $$ and have them constantly falling out.
Also, what do they mean by "music compatible"? Does it mean wider frequency response or something else?
What about battery replacement, or do the aids require replacement once the internal battery doesn't hold a charge anymore?
There was mention of tuning. What is that, and do you need a cellphone to do it (I don't have one)?
I find the in-ear Eargo's quite comfortable. I forget I'm using them after a couple of minutes. They have 3 different sized earpieces so you can adjust the fit.

A cell phone is the most convenient way to program but a technician can also do it over the phone. There are 4 programs that can be set for different tone/volume levels in each ear. Once programmed, you switch by just tapping each ear.

/ OTC hearing aids
Jabra Android interface not available. They're out. I hate iPhones <😔>

/ OTC hearing aids #14  
I owned one set of OTC aids for about a week before I sent them back for a refund. I cant use them. My hearing loss is so drastically different in each ear that simple amplifiers just don't work for me. I use Phonak aids now.
Phonak aids have served me for 7 years. 3 years ago I got a new set with permanently installed lithium ion batteries and blue tooth feature. Not having to touch a phone to receive a phone call is awesome as is listening to music videos or podcast whatever without bothering the wife's peace and quiet. I do not watch TV but have that feature which would be nice for someone that did watch a TV to keep it from being blasting the other people away so you could hear it.

I had my first set reconditioned and keep them for backup which comes in handy from time to time.

Hearing well is key to not developing dementia or at least laying it.

/ OTC hearing aids #15  
I have used about 6 or 8 different OTC hearing aids and 3 sets of Costco hearing aids. The latest are Jabra. I am not impressed with the latest. Spme of the OTC aids were comparable, IMO.

/ OTC hearing aids #16  
Someone mentioned hearing aids a while back and the microphone was something you wear around your neck, earpieces in ears and rechargeable batteries. Does anyone remember what it was? I'm thinking about $200.

/ OTC hearing aids #17  
I have used about 6 or 8 different OTC hearing aids and 3 sets of Costco hearing aids. The latest are Jabra. I am not impressed with the latest. Some of the OTC aids were comparable, IMO.

/ OTC hearing aids #18  
Looked into this for my parents. Costco is made by the same company that makes Phonak. Cheaper cost as well. The folks in the store seemed pretty knowledgeable as well. Consumer Reports also lists them as the best hearing aids on the market.

/ OTC hearing aids #19  
Costco hearing aids are not bad from what i heard. Also would recommend to visit hearing aid store, as they often have some discounts available online. That is the thing which will be stuck with you for the next couple of years, right? SO probably quality here is essential.

Last edited:
   / OTC hearing aids #20  
Boy am I glad I have good healthcare. I have a pair of Seimens and the total cost exam included was 80 bucks.