OTC hearing aids

/ OTC hearing aids #1  

square1

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 1700 4x4 w/ FEL
What brand / model of Over-the-counter hearing aid(s) have you bought?
Likes? (other than comfort to wear, that's going to be user specific)
Dislikes?
Price?
Would you buy the same ones again?

/ OTC hearing aids #2  
I owned one set of OTC aids for about a week before I sent them back for a refund. I cant use them. My hearing loss is so drastically different in each ear that simple amplifiers just don't work for me. I use Phonak aids now.

/ OTC hearing aids
I owned one set of OTC aids for about a week before I sent them back for a refund. I cant use them. My hearing loss is so drastically different in each ear that simple amplifiers just don't work for me. I use Phonak aids now.
Thanks for that info. I take it the OTCs weren't individually configurable? That's something I wouldn't have thought to check. My loss isn't equal either.

/ OTC hearing aids #4  
They may very well be configurable now but hte ones I tried were not. I just like the idea of having my audiologist test my hearing periodically and tuning my aids to my specific hearing loss. This last pair of Phonaks that I got are definately life changers for me.

/ OTC hearing aids #5  
I had a pair of in-ear OTCs and they were junk. Not only could you not configure them, but they also sounded like the old tin-can and string phones we played with as kids. I sent them back. The only better one's I seen are the old banana style that fits behind the ears. I would like to configure them with an app and fit in the ear. Oh, and yeah, be the same color skin tone--Not a blue and red one. :rolleyes:

/ OTC hearing aids #6  
Most OTC hearing aids are nothing more than just cheap amplifiers. Most of what you can order online are true hearing aids that can be tailored to the needs of each ear. I have a 70% loss in my right ear and a 15% loss in my left ear. OTC will not work for me. I have been researching online hearing aids and they are about 1/2 the cost of going to a doc and getting them. Most have basic audiology tests you can do online which is enough to have them the initial setup of the frequency amplification curves. Most, but not all, will then let you fine tune them with a phone app. Or be able to adjust them to the situation you are in, noisy restaurant or a quiet home. To get the best initial setup you need to find an audiologist to do full hearing curves and then send those curves into the online retailer. It all comes down to what you are willing to spend for quality and convenience.

/ OTC hearing aids #7  
Hearing loss varies greatly from one person to the next. What works for one may not for all.

I have moderate age related high frequency hearing loss which is different in each ear. I tried several brands of OTC aids with little success.

Eventually, I decided to throw some money at the problem and bought a pair of in-ear Eargo 5 aids. At $2500, they weren't cheap but so far, they've worked out very well. They are individually tunable for both tone and volume. They have settings to reduce background noise and feedback. They last 16 hours on a charge and are worn inside the ear canal so they are almost completely invisible.

I was reluctant at first to spend that much but there is a 45 day return policy which offers a full refund for any reason. They work so well for me that I bought a second set to have as a spare. The $5000 I spent was still cheaper than the $7000 the audiologist wanted for a pair of custom aids.

/ OTC hearing aids #8  
I get custom Phonaks from my audiologist for $2800 a pair. That includes hearing tests and her service that goes along with it. And that was with a lifetime warranty that covers damage and loss, even if you wash them in your shirt pocket. The best part is when I have a technical problem I go in and she calls Phonak to get the problem resolved with me right there. These hearing aids have been life changers so far.

/ OTC hearing aids #9  

/ OTC hearing aids

Jabra seems to get good reviews across the board at a reasonable cost.
Anyone have them that can give a 1st hand opinion?