Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas

/ Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas #261  
Pet roaches????

/ Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas #262  
I've never put in a zip code in any western state.

Why is it done?

Bruce

My assumption is that the zip code is a security check to see if the swiper is the card owner. It started slowly in my area with few gas stations requiring the zip code but now all of them require a zip code when paying with a credit card.

Later,
Dan

/ Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas #263  
   / Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas #264  
Seems to depend on the station. Sometimes I need to and sometimes not.

Same around here, though more and more stations seem to be going that way. I don't have a problem with it.

Both wanted me to register my phone but I carry is a company phone and it is not always in my possession... personal use frowned on and zero coverage at the property... nothing.

Not sure what a cellphone has to do with credit cards, but there does seem to be an increasing tendency to tie every aspect of your life to a cellphone. I guess they assume that "everyone" has a smartphone, always has it with them and has no problems with their entire life being tied to this one gadget. They assume wrong.

/ Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas #265  
Grrrrr....

My post got lost. <sigh> Looks like the central office just took out our Internet when I posted. <sigh>

Regarding credit card limits at gas stations. I hit the limit at a local station and asked the clerk. She informed me it was the credit card company setting the limit. I did not believe her but I went home and called the credit card company who informed me that the gas stations set the limit. They have too because, as others have said, the limit depends on the gas station.

I remember everyone in my family collecting Green Stamps. My granny would collect them but not really spend them. She would just put them in a drawer. Well that drawer would get stuffed full of Green Stamps since she always shopped at Publix and Publix was a huge user of Green Stamps. I eventually figured out you could get stuff and money from Green Stamps. :laughing::laughing::laughing: Granny would let me go through the drawer and fill in the Green Stamp books and we wold go and redeem them. Looking back, I think she did this in a Tom Sawyer way to get me to clean out the drawer, keep me busy, and going to the Green Stamp store gave us something to do. :D:D:D

As an adult I would get Green Stamps and then "spend" them in the store. As Bird said, it was cheaper to by the products but since we had the stamps you might as well use them. We never went out of our way to collect the dang thing, Publix would just give them to us. I still have the last item I bought with Green Stamps right before they went out of business.

I do remember gas stations giving away glasses and coffee mugs. My mom was big on getting glasses. :laughing::laughing::laughing: We used them danged things for years and it would not surprise me if she still has some. :D:D:D Seems like they were from Mobil. I remember some green plastic "glasses" she would get and I think they still have some of those too. She got those in the 70's and they have that 70's color palette. :laughing::laughing::laughing: I have a shelf full of glass Garfield coffee mugs...

Odd. :shocked::D:D:D I just looked at the Garfield mugs and started Googling. The mugs have a small McDonalds sign on them but I don't remember getting them at McDs. Internet searches say they had these mugs back in 1978 but I know I got mine in the 80's. Never been a great fan of McD's and almost would always go to Wendy's if given a choice so I can't see how I would have gotten these from McDs. I remember getting them from a gas station. People are asking for as much as $100 for a set of four. :laughing::laughing::laughing: Even at $5 a piece that is not bad money for something I got for free. :D:D:D

Later,
Dan

/ Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas #266  
My assumption is that the zip code is a security check to see if the swiper is the card owner. It started slowly in my area with few gas stations requiring the zip code but now all of them require a zip code when paying with a credit card.

Later,
Dan
Probably accurate. Every has station here requires your zip code.

/ Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas #267  
Back to some Oregonians being distraught at the prospect of pumping their own gas.

From Alex Tabbarok at Collective Action Kills Innovation - Marginal REVOLUTION:

Screenshot 2018-01-13 at 11.05.18 AM.png

Steve

/ Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas #270  
So what do you do? Go inside?

If you are lucky, you can go inside and have it pre-charged a certain amount. Then, theoretically, if you don't use up that much, you get a refund on your Visa statement.

Or, sometimes, you just have to go to another gas station.