Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas

/ Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas #251  
I was cleaning out my basement a couple weeks ago and found a bunch of those Green Stamps. Wonder if they're worth anything now, maybe to a collector?? As far as having to enter a zip code when using a credit card to buy gas, I too cannot remember the last time I got gas and did NOT have to do that. Seems to be a requirement everywhere around here, even at the Maverick station I use to gas up at all the time.

Yeah, it is a real bummer when you're driving down from Canada to Florida, and of course we have a Canadian postal code, not the US ZIP Code.

/ Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas #252  
Yeah, it is a real bummer when you're driving down from Canada to Florida, and of course we have a Canadian postal code, not the US ZIP Code.
So what do you do? Go inside?

/ Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas #253  
A quality Freebee from 50 years ago...

History - Gas Station give aways & noveltys from the past | Page 2 | The H.A.M.B.

We had so many, we sent them to the relatives back then and I still see them on occasion...

Think I still have an unopened Shell No Pest Strip... maybe worthy of Ebay?

When the folks were starting out the glassware giveaway and trading stamps were the big incentives... with 25 cents a gallon fuel...

When I was a kid in the '60s-70s, I kept lots of insects in terrariums in my bedroom. My dad hung a no pest strip in my room, and other places in the house, because of mosquitos.

Within days all of my pet bugs died! Praying mantises, crickets, grasshoppers, catipillars, EVEN THE ROACHES!!! I told my mom and she made him take them out of the house.

CDC Warning on Misuse of Pest Strips | WIRED

/ Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas #254  
Any time we travel, my wife unlocks our debit card for the states that we will be traveling through. And then she locks it again when we get home.

/ Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas #255  
Any time we travel, my wife unlocks our debit card for the states that we will be traveling through. And then she locks it again when we get home.
Good strategy to keep a lock on it.

We got a call a while back "OK to charge a motorcycle rental in Spain?" WTH? Then - Oh. Likely younger daughter gave this as the contact phone? Ok, sounds legit. She was going to Europe this month. So yep, that's her. No problem.

/ Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas #256  
When I was a kid in the '60s-70s, I kept lots of insects in terrariums in my bedroom. My dad hung a no pest strip in my room, and other places in the house, because of mosquitos.

Within days all of my pet bugs died! Praying mantises, crickets, grasshoppers, catipillars, EVEN THE ROACHES!!! I told my mom and she made him take them out of the house.

CDC Warning on Misuse of Pest Strips | WIRED

Interesting story and link...

http://www.shorpy.com/files/no-pest-strip.jpg

/ Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas #257  
I've never put in a zip code in any western state.

Why is it done?

Bruce
Seems to depend on the station. Sometimes I need to and sometimes not.

Back when gas was well over $3 a gallon I would often run into the 'max allowed transaction' at gas pumps when filling the 32 gal tank on my pickup. I understand the need for imposing a limit, in order to potentially reduce fraud. What was really irritating though was the sign the stations posted on their pumps. It basically said "This pump is limited to $XX on credit card purchases. This is imposed by Visa." Which was a complete lie, because that limit could be $75 at some stations, $100 at others, and $125 at others. If Visa were really imposing the limit it would be the same everywhere. Wish they could just be honest and say it way their company policy.

Never heard of a card being "locked for the day" after using it twice at the same pump. That sounds like another gas station company policy, or maybe a state law. Not a Visa thing.

Rob
Yep, I believe it also to be a station thing. Sometimes the pump shuts off at $75. Sometimes it doesn't. Same card.

Good strategy to keep a lock on it.

We got a call a while back "OK to charge a motorcycle rental in Spain?" WTH? Then - Oh. Likely younger daughter gave this as the contact phone? Ok, sounds legit. She was going to Europe this month. So yep, that's her. No problem.
My wife alerts the bank when we travel internationally. But I know the banks have algorithms to help detect fraud or stolen cards, regardless. I don't ever let the bank know when I travel on business. My company credit cards never get denied, no matter what country I am in... which is many places in Asia and Europe. Don't understand the difference but maybe corporate cards are managed differently than personal credit cards when it comes to travel. :confused3:

/ Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas #258  
I had a few days work to do in Olympia and hit both Lowes and Home Depot... both my regular cards were declined...

Cell was not charged so it was the next day before I could call in... was told Fraud Prevention for both cards caused the suspension due to irregular purchases... I replied I shop Home Depot all the time and shop this Home Depot and Lowes regularly every couple of months...

Both wanted me to register my phone but I carry is a company phone and it is not always in my possession... personal use frowned on and zero coverage at the property... nothing.

Isn't technology great?

For some reason the cards still worked at the pumps...

/ Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas #259  
When Target came to town I discovered, figured out after a few instances, that my Golden1 CU credit card froze every register in the store when it was scanned. They had the normal chaos of opening a new store, new employees etc and I was adding a new level of chaos. About the third time I saw the supervisor sprint for the computer room I realized I was the culprit. Oops. I never had that problem at another store, or months later when I resumed use of that card in Target. Bizarre.

/ Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas #260  
I have problems with discover card at pilot gas stations.