Oregon 22TON Log Splitter Honda 190 Runs, sputters, dies. Occasionally recovers, then repeats.

/ Oregon 22TON Log Splitter Honda 190 Runs, sputters, dies. Occasionally recovers, then repeats. #11  
One thing I was told by a experienced two cycle mechanic that I follow and has reduced my carb problems on two cycles.

He advised that gasoline in a two cycle gas tank will expand and will force gas through the weak point which is the carb. His advice was to loosen the gas cap on the gas tank when through using allowing the tank to vent the air that builds up when the gas expands.

/ Oregon 22TON Log Splitter Honda 190 Runs, sputters, dies. Occasionally recovers, then repeats. #12  
When I buy a carb on eBAy etc I try to find an older model carb that is still adjustable.

Other hints for small engines.
Don't use dyed fuel
Install an after market fuel filter in the fuel line.
Shut the fuel off and let the motor run out of fuel to store for any length of time.
Use a gasoline antifreeze.
Store the motor inside or under cover like a carport.
Don't put a tarp/etc. over the motor. That encourages condensation.

There's probably some I missed but that's a good start.

/ Oregon 22TON Log Splitter Honda 190 Runs, sputters, dies. Occasionally recovers, then repeats. #13  
Leaving e-gas sit in anything for a protracted amount of time is always asking for issues because of phase separation, the corn alcohol 'separates from the gas and alcohol attracts water so any condensation that forms inside the tank combines with it and gunks of the carb. it's also corrosive so it eats into aluminum carb parts.

Unless the fuel tank is completely full, you always get condensation inside, why lawnmower shops are always busy replacing carbs and rotted fuel tanks as well as rotting fuel lines. The only fuel line that will last with Egas is Tygon and no OEM uses it. Rubber don't stand a chance with it. Why, on 'Flex Fuel' vehicles, you'll never find a rubber fuel line.

SOP for me is always a dose of Marine Stabil with every can of egas. and not the red, stinky stuff either. That crap is useless.

/ Oregon 22TON Log Splitter Honda 190 Runs, sputters, dies. Occasionally recovers, then repeats.
Did you have old gas in it?

On replacement carbs I’ve only done that once. I got it running right eventually, it was on a lawn boy, but it took a lot of work. Rebuilding a carb is better in my opinion if you can get a kit.
Fresh gas, from same jug I used in my power washer day before last with no problem for two tankfulls. PW has Vertical version of splitter motor.

I run my splitter dry before putting it away for the next season, to minimize varnish buildup.

/ Oregon 22TON Log Splitter Honda 190 Runs, sputters, dies. Occasionally recovers, then repeats. #16  
Could have been electrical too. Mice a problem ever?

/ Oregon 22TON Log Splitter Honda 190 Runs, sputters, dies. Occasionally recovers, then repeats.
Could have been electrical too. Mice a problem ever?
Electrical is all good, no mouse evidence on splitter at all.

my shed, however…. Destructive little @##$&##$$🤬🤬🤬🤬

/ Oregon 22TON Log Splitter Honda 190 Runs, sputters, dies. Occasionally recovers, then repeats. #18  
UPDATE:

I got disgusted, drained half the gas, added a cup of Sea Foam, pulled it through and let it roun for about 20seconds, and left it for two hours. Running like it always did now.

Which bothers me after disassembling and cleaning the carb thoroughly — I guess carb cleaner isn’t what it used to be???
I can't speak to the carb cleaner you used because I don't know which carb cleaner you used. But I can talk about Sea Foam. I was having trouble with my Stihl chain saw. Even though I only use ethanol free gasoline, according to the pump label at least, my saw carb showed the typical signs of being gummed up. Sea Foam in the gas returned the saw to proper operating condition. Almost instantly. I was truly amazed at how quickly the saw started to run the way it did when new.
Eric

/ Oregon 22TON Log Splitter Honda 190 Runs, sputters, dies. Occasionally recovers, then repeats. #19  
My worst fuel issues are when the gas powered equipment is kept in the service van and not used at least weekly.

My best is the equipment in a walkout basement shop where the temp is nearly constant year round…

Last edited: