Ordering seeds

/ Ordering seeds #1  

Jstpssng

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3301
Traditionally I've ordered seeds when cabin fever starts setting in... in a good winter I start taking inventory around the last week in February and place it sometime in March. This year winter's late and I haven't even looked at the fruit tree catalogs yet... I just got a text from my sister warning me that seed companies are already restricting orders. Yikes! Last year I ordered just before the Covid hit, so was able to get everything that I needed. I don't even know what I'm out of, but taking my seed inventory just moved to the top of my list.

/ Ordering seeds #2  
My wife put in her seed order in early December this year. She was worried that the seed companies were going to have problems with availability and delivery.

/ Ordering seeds #3  
My wife put in her seed order in early December this year. She was worried that the seed companies were going to have problems with availability and delivery.

Apparently you wife is right. The seed companies are basically selling off last year's unsold seed supply. We will be ordering our clover and flower seed this week.

/ Ordering seeds #4  
I got bit by that some last year. Part of my seed ordering I had to wait some were restricting/prioritizing sales by customer type, and part of my order for the year was slowed/delayed (due to normal hold for seasonal shipping schedules).

The latter was the reason I started ordering prior to the start of the new year (just didn't get to all of it last year), because if I'm planning to start seeds indoors I'd rather not wait to get seeds until March/April (or later) as I can usually start planting in ground after April 15th, but usually wait until Earth Day (April 22) if/when weather allows.

/ Ordering seeds #5  
Apparently you wife is right. The seed companies are basically selling off last year's unsold seed supply. We will be ordering our clover and flower seed this week.

Might work with non ag seed but with ag seed which includes alfalfa and seed corn, the producer has to certify germination to be 95% or better or they cannot sell it. USDA rules.

I buy my seed corn from the producer down the road and my vernal and hybrid alfalfa (roundup ready) from Wilbur Ellis, same with my 46 granulated and 28 liquid.

I just got my Jung seed catalog and will be ordering my garden seeds and plants shortly. I like Jung Seed Company. Won't plant any cabbage this year, I can get it by the hamper full anytime I want it.

/ Ordering seeds
^^^^^
How did you make out growing potatoes under straw? I have a couple of bales under cover and am going to try it this year.
Next year I may try growing them in a tower inside the greenhouse, if I can get that set up with a little heat.

/ Ordering seeds #7  
^^^^^
How did you make out growing potatoes under straw? I have a couple of bales under cover and am going to try it this year.
Next year I may try growing them in a tower inside the greenhouse, if I can get that set up with a little heat.

Excellent. Did Maine seed potatoes and Pontiac's. What you need to do is get straw bales, take a bulb planter and bore about 3 holes in the cut side of the bale sprinkle on fertilizer (I used 46 granulated because I always have about a skid in the barn but any fertilizer will do and soak the bales down and repeat regularly keeping them moist. When you start getting mushrooms they are ready. Put the cuttings in each hole, cover with some potting soil and keep the bales moist. They grow like crazy. Easy to harvest too. You can dig in and get the new potatoes or let the vines die off and split the bales and get the spuds. I'll do it again this year too. In fact, I'll increase the size (amount of the bales). Put them on newspaper so the weeds don't grow. In the fall, mulch the used bales into the garden. No greenhouse here, I want one but will probably never get one. Farming takes too much time for me.

/ Ordering seeds #8  
Excellent. Did Maine seed potatoes and Pontiac's. What you need to do is get straw bales, take a bulb planter and bore about 3 holes in the cut side of the bale sprinkle on fertilizer (I used 46 granulated because I always have about a skid in the barn but any fertilizer will do and soak the bales down and repeat regularly keeping them moist. When you start getting mushrooms they are ready. Put the cuttings in each hole, cover with some potting soil and keep the bales moist. They grow like crazy. Easy to harvest too. You can dig in and get the new potatoes or let the vines die off and split the bales and get the spuds. I'll do it again this year too. In fact, I'll increase the size (amount of the bales). Put them on newspaper so the weeds don't grow. In the fall, mulch the used bales into the garden. No greenhouse here, I want one but will probably never get one. Farming takes too much time for me.

I just read a book on straw bale gardening and am sold. Want to grow sweet potatoes, carrots, beets, peppers, eggplant, and maybe some other stuff. Thanks for sharing your experience and methods!

/ Ordering seeds #9  
We were at Menard's yesterday and they had seeds out. People were swarming them like flies. Better order early. :rolleyes:

/ Ordering seeds

My father gave me his last 40 foot hoop house and some used plastic to cover it. I put up a 20 foot section and kept turkeys in it one year, then it became storage. I need to put new plastic on, and set the other half up down near the house where I can run power to it. Someday I'd like to use it to extend my season in both directions, and in winter I can keep my hens in the other.