Older Grand L Model List

/ Older Grand L Model List #1  

JPinnell

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800 - wLA402 and 72" MMM
So I've had a B7800 HST with the LA402 loader and 72in Belly Mower for almost 15yrs. I bought it new and am now creeping up on 900hrs. It has been reliable like a hammer. Other than fluids, filters, and 3 batteries it has needed nothing. I love it. However I'm now a little older and crawling under it to hook up the mower PTO is a pain. I mow 2acres most of the time and 5 acres semi regularly. I use the loader quite a bit too and would LOVE to have a little more lift capacity than 800-900lbs.

I bought a small tracked Bobcat T140 and though I'd like it for loader duties, but not so much. 1400lbs its rated at is plenty of lift for my needs. Cutting up a firewood log I have to crawl over it to get out. It also tears up the yard more than I like. So I think I'm going to sell/trade it.

So my new plan is to find an older Grand L with either a LA68x or LA72x series loader. Once I find one and I'm happy with it I will either sell the B7800 and get a Zero Turn. Or just leave the B7800 in mowing config. It is a wash really, $10-$12K for a new mower and I might get $12-$14K for the B7800. For the difference the B7800 is reliable and well built compared to the "cheapening" of newer options. I have a 'yard' and not a lawn. With the trees, hills, ditch, and bumps a zero turn saves time but not that much. I had a 72in Exmark LazerZ prior to the tractor and it might have saved an hr mowing the full 5acres.

Budget for the used Grand L is $15-$20K. I'd like to stay HST and under 1000hrs. Open Station is fine, would prefer to stay pre-emissions if possible (pre 2014), and too many trees to deal with a cab. I'd like to stay on the smaller end of the Grand L frame sizes physically. Under 40HP, never felt that the B7800 was lacking in power. Is there a reference list somewhere of which Grand L's had the higher capacity loader options?

Any suggestions? Thanks!!

/ Older Grand L Model List #2  
TractorData.com shows the loader information you are looking for. It appears that the L30 series all have at least the LA753 available as an option, standard, or a bigger loader in the larger machines of the series.

/ Older Grand L Model List #3  
Our L3240GST open station has been bulletproof since I bought it in 2007 - around when you got the B7800? Just regular grease, hyd fluid and oil service and filters. It has the LA724 loader and handles a BH92 hoe well. About 5000 pounds with the loader on and the bh subframe - another 1000# with the hoe attached.
With ag tires I try to stay off our so-called lawn if I want any peace with The Plant Manager. Definitely not suited to tight turns or any kind mowing near the house.
980 hours on it and still has the original battery. It easily handles a 60" brush hog, 60" tiller, 66" box blade, a 7 foot NH 451 sicklebar mower and a 7800# logging winch. Rarely has it lacked sufficient power for any job. Our land is mostly flat, though, so if you're in hilly terrain a few more horses might be prudent. For what it does, it sips fuel, which I will appreciate next time I pick up 20 gallons at the station.

Last edited: