Old Window Greenhouse

/ Old Window Greenhouse #1  

walhondingMF

Silver Member
Tractor
2012 MF2400
Anyone built a greenhouse out of old windows? Starting a project and looking for advice.

/ Old Window Greenhouse #2  
From what I've read, using old windows for anything but a temporary cold frame wouldn't be that great of a use. They tend to leak, and if they are wooden, they tend to rot. It's almost more work than it's worth when there are a lot of plastic greenhouses that are relatively inexpensive and much easier to put up, take down, modify, etc.

/ Old Window Greenhouse #3  
From what I've read, using old windows for anything but a temporary cold frame wouldn't be that great of a use. They tend to leak, and if they are wooden, they tend to rot. It's almost more work than it's worth when there are a lot of plastic greenhouses that are relatively inexpensive and much easier to put up, take down, modify, etc.
I had "recycled" enough windows to make a 12'x20' greenhouse and had all those problems.

Now I use hoops made out of conduit covered with greenhouse plastic that is UV rated. Much better results and much , much less maintenance.

/ Old Window Greenhouse #4  
I use the same techniques as the people at the link below.

/ Old Window Greenhouse
All great suggestions. Thank you.

However, I am working against an even great force of nature... my wife.

This is actually a project for her. She wants a cute little greenhouse to grow flowers in that she can take pictures of and post. This is less of a productive, efficient project and more of a building something my wife wants project lol.

/ Old Window Greenhouse #7  
If you used the clear acrylic corrugated roofing with enough of an overhang to protect the wooden windows you might be alright. If does sounds like A LOT of work though. Good luck!

/ Old Window Greenhouse #9  
Just kidding. Have you thought about using a yard barn kit? Like these? It's just a bunch of brackets and you fill in with 2x4. That would give you a frame to start with. However, most yard barns' from wind load is from the plywood siding. But, it might do.

They make different kits for different size and style of barns.

/ Old Window Greenhouse #10  
All great suggestions. Thank you.

However, I am working against an even great force of nature... my wife.

This is actually a project for her. She wants a cute little greenhouse to grow flowers in that she can take pictures of and post. This is less of a productive, efficient project and more of a building something my wife wants project lol.
How big of a building are we talking about?