Old ford and past projects

/ Old ford and past projects #1  

Greenvalleymatt

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 1626, started with a 49 8n
Wanted to share some of the things I've been working on for years. Spreading woodchips, making compost, improving and building soil. It's been fun. I sold the old ford last week since I upgraded to a modern tractor. Soil here was hard compact clay with very little to no organic matter. Not so much anymore. I'd say I've added around 4 inches of top soil over 4 acres over the last 5 years.
Polish_20210517_155517234.jpeg
Polish_20210517_155544363.jpeg
Polish_20210517_155623802.jpeg

/ Old ford and past projects #2  
Congrats on the new tractor. :)
Your soil looks better than ours,NH known for growing rocks. :rolleyes:

/ Old ford and past projects
Started with the first small garden, which was simply me finding partially composted horse manure and shavings, the garden that year was infertile, the weeds and grass won the battle, but I was determined. The pasture was in poor condition due to my great grandfather abusing it decades before.
Polish_20210517_160251535.jpeg

Established a beneficial relationship with a tree service that had as many wood chips as I wanted. I accepted them all. Overtime I've spread over 4 acres. No nitrogen added, but I do broadcast cover crops from time to time, mostly legumes.
Polish_20210517_160314889.jpeg

Each spring I watched the winter grasses bounce back faster than my neighbors, and grow far taller and more lush. It's something of beauty, and I thoroughly enjoy watching the process from year to year.
Polish_20210517_160336158.jpeg

Thank you. I'm lucky to have several soil types on property, the poorest is the picture where the potatoes were planted, it's a nasty yellow rocky clay. Two years rotating a flock of 50 ducks over woodchips there has turned it to great soil now.
Congrats on the new tractor. :)
Your soil looks better than ours,NH known for growing rocks. :rolleyes:

Somewhere around 5000 yards of organic matter