Old Barn used for equipment, You think this will work?

/ Old Barn used for equipment, You think this will work? #11  
So I'm think a bit differently about this. I would not want to change the look of the old barn by adding doors along the sides. That's me. What I would concider is spending the money to repair the footings and do what ever needs doing there to ensure the longevity of the barn. Pour the whole floor into cement and use small custom pallets with castor wheels for moving your equipment into and out storage along the sides. Don't be cheap on the castor wheels and everything will move around quite easily.

/ Old Barn used for equipment, You think this will work? #12  
It's your barn you paid for it do what you want with it, I rather see a barn being used and maintain then abandon and on the verge of collapse...

Like some have said if its post and beam and you don't cut any beam it is ok to do so might need minor reinforcement and framing for a door frame and door support but that should be it.

If its bearing wall you will need beam and support for that beam ...

can't say by the picture provided.

/ Old Barn used for equipment, You think this will work? #13  
Why don't you just build a shed instead of working over the old barn. It don't look like you're in Alaska, so a shed should be fine. Or, come off the sides of the barn with sheds.

/ Old Barn used for equipment, You think this will work? #14  
It all depends on how it's framed. Considering it's age and how things where built back then, odds are very good that you can just cut out the siding and not have to do anything else.

Is it a Timber Frame Barn? or is it a Pole Barn with posts set in the ground? How did they lock the framing in place to deal with racking?

Post pictures of the interior framing and pictures of where you want to cut out the siding, to include how the roof it supported by that wall.

I disagree with everyone who says to leave it like it is because it's old and they like old barns. I feel strongly that it's more important to use a barn, and make it better to do what you need it to do.

/ Old Barn used for equipment, You think this will work? #15  
Can you show the inside of the building? Maybe the wall where you want to cut an access too?

/ Old Barn used for equipment, You think this will work? #16  
I disagree with everyone who says to leave it like it is because it's old and they like old barns. I feel strongly that it's more important to use a barn, and make it better to do what you need it to do.
That's why I mentioned "save it".
The number of barns that I've seen "modified" (to put it kindly) by farmers who probably didn't know any better or simply didn't have a choice where primary posts or beams were removed....
I'm 100% with it's his barn, do what you like but I've just seen too many of them end up in a burn pile.
If running across an old classic wooden barn doesn't warm your heart and stir up fond memories, better get your heart checked. 👍

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / Old Barn used for equipment, You think this will work? #17  
If you drop poles or posts in the ground (with concrete) for your door frame, there will be no load on the barn. If you attach the barn to the new door frames, you increase shear and load strength to the barn.

This example doesn’t even have top beam.

/ Old Barn used for equipment, You think this will work? #18  
If you drop poles or posts in the ground (with concrete) for your door frame, there will be no load on the barn. If you attach the barn to the new door frames, you increase shear and load strength to the barn.

This example doesn’t even have top beam.
Removing the siding can reduce lot capacity of the roof as well as shear depending on framing method
in attached example there is no need for beam because there is nothing above door

/ Old Barn used for equipment, You think this will work? #19  
Keep the barn exterior as is. Buy a cheap forklift to maneuver the implements into the stalls from the center aisle.

/ Old Barn used for equipment, You think this will work? #20  
Removing the siding can reduce lot capacity of the roof as well as shear depending on framing method
in attached example there is no need for beam because there is nothing above door
1675901733368.jpeg

We are limited to one picture here. Notice the thick posts the stalls are built with. As large as this barn is, we can assume there are stalls on the opposite side as well?(notice the cross beam over the tractor resting on something the same height out of view) Very strong. Built with sturdy stall roofs for hay as well. In this old style Timber Frame construction, siding was not a consideration for carrying or stabilizing any loads, except for temporary bracing during construction. Kits are available today. You can download instructions to understand how trusses and then posts bear the entire roof load. This type of framing requires no siding at all.
On the other hand, age and rot can change everything. ;)

1675902836827.jpeg