Old 5ft king kutter bush hog questions

/ Old 5ft king kutter bush hog questions #1  

Bansil

Gold Member
Tractor
1967 Ford 5000 w/FEL(sold), 1950 Farmall Super A for the wife to drive around (needs fixed) 2024 Kubota B2601 FEL & BH
I found my old bush hog I used with my Ford 5000, I know I had to fill up gearbox every time I used it.

So if I take apart gearbox and replace seals or unit.

I would have to modify cat 2 to cat 1, no biggie.

Can I use it with my kubota B2601?

Can I get a shaft to link them?

I went on their website and they do cat1/cat2 on their 5ft models now

If I rebuild that one, would save alot

Edited for correct info, thanks Marine

Last edited:
   / Old 5ft king kutter bush hog questions #2  
A ford 5000 was a Cat2/1 tractor not a Cat 3 so you should be ok there.

I don't see why you couldn't get a shaft, there are not to many variations of 540 rpm shafts and available in multiple implement end shaft styles as well as length. And can aways be cut if to long.

A kubota B2601 is however going to be at the very bottom of the recommended power for 5' bush hog. It might have a hard go in anything more than a lawn. You only have 20 hp on the PTO and they recommend 25-40hp PTO hp for a 5' mower.

/ Old 5ft king kutter bush hog questions
Great info! I have it; might as well rebuild it, I could always sell it and get a 4ft.
Thank you!

/ Old 5ft king kutter bush hog questions #4  
Or just use part of it, say, 4 foot of it in thick stuff... Do you have HST,, that help to be able to slow down, when needed.

I have a very old Land pride that I need to re-skin (rust) might get to it one of these days... been saying that for 2 years now. Still works but rusted through for the most part...

/ Old 5ft king kutter bush hog questions #5  
You can always pump the gearbox full of grease instead of replacing the seals, it will last forever.

Yes,HST

Oldandtired....very good idea,2-1/2 ft is better than a saw,clippers,weed eaters..hell!!!!
Or just use part of it, say, 4 foot of it in thick stuff... Do you have HST,, that help to be able to slow down, when needed.

I have a very old Land pride that I need to re-skin (rust) might get to it one of these days... been saying that for 2 years now. Still works but rusted through for the most part...

You can always pump the gearbox full of grease instead of replacing the seals, it will last forever.
Lol, when I got it, it actually had sawdust in the oil, I cleaned it out and just keep it full, I would get an hour of use,before filling back up
Great idea, corn head grease,interesting

/ Old 5ft king kutter bush hog questions #10  
One of the Caroni decks I worked on had a leak. Replacing bearings and seals wasn't difficult. There's a REAL hardware/farm store about half an hour away that carries all sorts of parts. Many of the pieces used in implements aren't proprietary.