ok wierd problem Wont turn off!

/ ok wierd problem Wont turn off! #1  

tweakimportz

Tractor
mahindra 2615 ml 106
ok so i got the starter hooked up and it works fine.
now i started the tractor and it wouldn't turn off. im thinking ignition switch is shorted out, because i can turn it off and take the key completely out and it just stays running.
just seeing if there is a reoccurring problem like this.
also. when i hooked up the starter there was a solenoid on the other side of the engine i believe connected to the injectors that was getting extremely hott with the ignition turned on engine not running. just wondering if that is normal. glow plug or something idk i dont really work on tractors ill post some pics of the solenoid in question. later.

/ ok wierd problem Wont turn off!
oh sorry its an 08 mahindra 2615 tractor

/ ok wierd problem Wont turn off! #3  
oh sorry its an 08 mahindra 2615 tractor

Your tractor has a 3-cylinder Mitsubishi diesel engine. Diesel engines do not have ignition circuits. Your starter switch has a start position, an accessories position and off. Diesels are normally stopped by cutting off the fuel supply either with a hand operated valve (old style) or via a solenoid valve. Sounds like that solenoid valve is not working right.

thanks but id still like other input. lmk

/ ok wierd problem Wont turn off! #5  
It definitely could be, and probably is, the key switch. My Montana would not die unless you jarred the switch. And it would also spin over but not start except intermittently. I tested every circuit just to be sure there was no other problem before I ordered a new switch. In the meantime I was going to "hot wire" it and figured that I had nothing to loose by trying to "fix" the old switch... so I rapped it pretty hard against the ROPS twice. LoL I guess that popped loose the welded contacts because it worked perfectly until I got the new switch.

First, you probably have a solenoid screwed into the bottom of your injection pump. When you turn on the key that solenoid pulls back a needle to allow fuel to flow so the tractor runs. When you turn the key switch off a spring pushes the plunger back up to stop the fuel flow. So, since your engine won't stop by turning the key off that normally means the solenoid is still getting power and unless there is a short in the wiring it has to go through the switch.

yes both of you have helped a lot. im getting a new key switch coming. and if that doesn't work ill probably take it in and make sure the solenoid is not the problem. the solenoid works good i can hear it cycle on and off when i put power to it just keeps getting power all the time from the switch. thanks alot guys.

/ ok wierd problem Wont turn off! #7  
My 4110 fuel cut solenoid works just the opposite - when not energized, the fuel flow is open and allows running. When you turn the key on it does nothing to the solenoid itself. When you turn the key off, it starts a timer that energizes the solenoid and kills the engine (fuel in injector pump). After approx. 10 seconds or so the timer cuts power to the solenoid and it is ready to start the engine again. I've never really timed it but I'm usually down off the tractor when I hear the solenoid cut back off. Your tractor should have an emergency stop handle that operates a cable to kill the engine in the event the solenoid system isn't working. Mine is just below the steering column near the brake pedals. On rare occasion my solenoid works electrically but mechanically it doesn't quite kill the fuel all the way and I have to use the manual kill. I find this happens mostly after really extended running - 5 or 6 hours continued in hot weather. Rarely does it in colder weather.

/ ok wierd problem Wont turn off! #8  
My Mahindra 2810 did the same thing to me this weekend after I installed a new battery. I put the battery in, ran it for an hour, and then tried to turn it off and it would not shut off. The only way I could get it to shut off was to put it in somewhat high gear (4th or so), give it no gas, and let my foot off the clutch. This stalled it out and shut the motor off.
I dont know if my new battery is too strong or what. IT was a pretty hot day so I am hoing it wont act up this fall/winter.

/ ok wierd problem Wont turn off! #9  
Battery is not too hot.. Its a malfunction in either switch, wiring or key off solenoid, like being discussed above.

/ ok wierd problem Wont turn off! #10  
You can stop most diesels pretty easy by closing off the air intake at idle. No fuel, or no air, and she should shut off. Remember the at idle part.... don't want you to loose body parts trying to stop a big hp diesel running wide open... :)