OK to use 85W140 rather than 80W90 gear oil in a Super C parade tractor?

/ OK to use 85W140 rather than 80W90 gear oil in a Super C parade tractor? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
I know 80W90 is spec gear oil for my 1947 Super C Farmall but that was then and this is now. The tractor only gets used in summer parades for maybe 100 miles a year in the heat of summer. I'd like to use 85-140 to slow down leaks but not sure if I should and if it's a good or bad idea. Do others use the thicker oil and does anyone have any experience or thoughts on this?

Thank you in advance.

/ OK to use 85W140 rather than 80W90 gear oil in a Super C parade tractor? #2  
It should work OK as you won't be subjected to "Low" temps in the summer.

/ OK to use 85W140 rather than 80W90 gear oil in a Super C parade tractor? #3  
Over 30 years ago I put new rear axels and seals in my 8N Ford along with 85-140 oil , it’s been working fine, about the only real difference I noticed is during cold winter weather it takes a while for the oil to warm up so the 3 point isn’t so slow.

/ OK to use 85W140 rather than 80W90 gear oil in a Super C parade tractor? #4  
The cold points are almost identical on the two lubes, untill it gets worked and the oil temp starts to increase the viscosity will stay low

/ OK to use 85W140 rather than 80W90 gear oil in a Super C parade tractor? #5  
I think that's a good idea, I do kind of the same thing on my bush hog gear boxes instead of using the recommended 80w90 weight oil I fill the gear box 1/2 full with grease. So far so good. (y)

/ OK to use 85W140 rather than 80W90 gear oil in a Super C parade tractor? #6  
I have extreme faith in these old machines. I think you could pump the gearcases full of a good quality gun grease and they'd be fine. Especially considering your described usage. :cool:

/ OK to use 85W140 rather than 80W90 gear oil in a Super C parade tractor?
Thanks for all the replies.
As for gear grease, a common remedy for for big farm tucks (F600 Ford, , etc) trucks was to fill he steering gear half with grease and half with gear oil. They worked fine and it leaked less or not all all.