Oil Pan Problem

/ Oil Pan Problem #21  
The Briggs parts Dan is talking about should not be expensive - plan on replacing them, to avoid leaks.

I'm not particularily fast (pretty slow actually, on an engine I don't know) at what Dan is describing, but I'd be about an hour and a half start to finish, with the right tools at hand.

If your neighbour is a hands on type, see what he wants for cash to do a side job.

Rgds, D.

/ Oil Pan Problem #22  
The next time you have anything like those plugs frozen in place, the best way to remove it is with impact.

Lots of penetrating oil to start. Get an adjustable wrench, a box wrench, or a socket that fits the plug. Put it on the plug and set up just like you are going to try to loosen it by hand. Then take all of the slack out of the wrench with hand pressure, and hit it with about a 4 pound hand sledge. Hit the side of the wrench which will loosen the frozen threads. Do not be shy on your first blow, make it a good stout hit.

I have never had this fail on a frozen bolt, nut, plug, whatever, and even better it has never damaged anything.