Oil Pan Problem

/ Oil Pan Problem #1  

stanj

Tractor
Toro
Ok,
So I was going to change the oil in my Toro Tiller and save some money by doing it myself, ,Well, Murphy's law went into affect, I can't remember when it was done last (may have been by a dealer). Anyway, it is a Briggs and Stratton engine with 2 oil drain plugs.

I tried for an hour to loosen the plugs but they will not budge. Almost to the point of being stripped. I tried wd-40 but it did not help budge the plugs.:mad:

So, I used a siphon pump that has a long plastic tube . I inserted it into the opening where the oil is added to the engine, I was able to get most of the oil out,. However, when I attempted to remove it, the long plastic tube was caught on something and a piece about 3-3.5 inches broke off and is now inside the oil pan.:ashamed: I cannot see it or get to it..

Not sure what to do now. Leave it in there? Take to a dealer (probably big bucks..)

Any ideas on how to remove the drain plugs that seem to be frozen?

/ Oil Pan Problem #2  
That's why I went to an oil extractor. Great for getting oil out of lawn mowers (most don't have drain plugs any more) and generators. I'd try sprays with PB Blaster. Maybe bang the drain plugs on their flat side. Don't try heat. Could cause some light stuff in the crankcase to explode.

Ralph

/ Oil Pan Problem
I will try PB Blaster ,,,didn't know about a oil extractor...

but what about the piece of plastic that is now inside the oil pan ?

stan

That's why I went to an oil extractor. Great for getting oil out of lawn mowers (most don't have drain plugs any more) and generators. I'd try sprays with PB Blaster. Maybe bang the drain plugs on their flat side. Don't try heat. Could cause some light stuff in the crankcase to explode.

Ralph

/ Oil Pan Problem #4  
Try cold on the plugs.

Either a purpose designed Freeze-It spray, or spray a air duster can (I get mine in 6 packs from Costco) upside down to get a blast of liquid on the plug - use a well fitting socket on a big breaker bar just after that.

That plastic should come out - either fish it out thru the drain plug hole, or the pan needs to come off.

Rgds, D.

/ Oil Pan Problem #5  
Look up oil extractor on line. I got mine from DR.

Either don't worry about the plastic or remove the pan. I'd think it ought to be easy enough to take the pan down.

Ralph

/ Oil Pan Problem
Look up oil extractor on line. I got mine from DR.

Either don't worry about the plastic or remove the pan. I'd think it ought to be easy enough to take the pan down.

Ralph

Ok,
So what is the process to take the pan down?
attached are some photos

thanks

2013-11-02 11.35.16.jpg2013-11-02 11.27.59.jpg2013-11-02 11.36.32.jpg2013-11-02 11.35.16.jpg2013-11-02 11.27.59.jpg2013-11-02 11.36.32.jpg

/ Oil Pan Problem #7  
That doesn't have an oil pan, it looks to be a garden variety horizontal shaft of around 5 hp or so. They come apart by taking the side cover off the drive side and all the engine components come out that way.
If it were mine, I'd cone out a half or 7/16 nut and put it over one of the square plugs and weld in the cone. That will let you get on it with a socket, and the heat will loosen the corrosion in the aluminum case. As for the plastic hose in the fill tube, if you can grab it with some needle nose pliers and work it around it will probably come out. You might have to push it in a bit and wiggle it to free it up. You can fuss with it for quite a while before having to tear it down to remove it, as that takes a bit of time as well.

/ Oil Pan Problem #8  
Try a big pair of vice-grips, clamped as hard as you can go, on the drain plug where there is no heat shield above it. I'd be a bit surprised if a 3' pipe on the end of that vice-grip won't shift it.

Once you perfect that technique on that plug, you should be ready for the one with less clearance :thumbsup:.

Rgds, D.

Edit - the plugs may be redundant, but you won't know for sure till they are both out. Next time, you may only need to remove one.

/ Oil Pan Problem #9  
Yeah, no oil pan. Wonder if you can get access to the area where the plastic is if you remove that piece with two bolts on it just above and to the right of the one oil drain.

I think one drain is redundant. Likely only need the one removed to drain.

I vote for some good vice grips clapped firmly onto the drain plug and maybe use a short pipe over the vice grips to give you some more torque.

Some heat and some raps on the face of the drain plug may help. Not much heat. Do not want to explode any gases in the crankcase.

Ralph

/ Oil Pan Problem
I tried the 3/8 socket it would not fit on the plugs,
Tried a 12mm and it did fit but started to slip when turning.
Used PB Blaster. Did not have a pipe wrench so I tried vice grips..
I applied the grips and then used a small sledge hammer to tap the vice grip handle.
It eventually loosened it up and was able to remove the plug.
The oil drained out.

However, the plug on the other side of the engine would not budge.
Tried an hour and it did not budge. The vice grips tour it up pretty bad.
So, I have the oil out but the plug on the other side is a no go.
I assume I can leave it alone now that it is all chewed up unless there are other ways to try?

for extracting the plastic, i am not sure,, the one I have is 8 HP.
the Engine Model is 195432 1038 01 96043011

Yeah, no oil pan. Wonder if you can get access to the area where the plastic is if you remove that piece with two bolts on it just above and to the right of the one oil drain.

I think one drain is redundant. Likely only need the one removed to drain.

I vote for some good vice grips clapped firmly onto the drain plug and maybe use a short pipe over the vice grips to give you some more torque.

Some heat and some raps on the face of the drain plug may help. Not much heat. Do not want to explode any gases in the crankcase.

Ralph