Oil filter wrench

/ Oil filter wrench #1  

TVZ

Tractor
MF 1726E
Can any one tell me a trick to get the oil filter off my 1726E? It's tucked down among other stuff so it's very hard to get a wrench on (See attached photo) (and it seems to be on very tight). I've tried several wrenches but none are able to get a good enough grip on it and allow me to exert the force needed.

Attachments

• IMG_20210712_113616008.jpg
    IMG_20210712_113616008.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 466
   / Oil filter wrench #3  
I don't bother with any wrench on any oil filter that I need to remove to install a new one (exception is the cars, I use a strap wrench on them), I take a long screwdriver and a hammer and shove the screwdriver through the filter and lever it off with the impaled screwdriver.

You are tossing it anyway. jam it in and lever it off. easy-peasy.

Don't forget to check to see if the old filter gasket came off with the filter. Double gasketed filters always leak.

/ Oil filter wrench #4  
Strap or a chain wrench. Screwdriver thing works too but it's messy more often than not.

• Good Post
Reactions: TVZ
   / Oil filter wrench #5  
Anything that drives off the end of the filter like a end cap wrench, strap wrench, or that claw wrench.

Snap-on Store

Last edited:
  • Good Post
Reactions: TVZ
   / Oil filter wrench #6  
My only oil filter wrench is a pair of channellocks. My right hand is the tightener. Haven't found a piece of equipment it hasn't worked on yet.

/ Oil filter wrench
Thanks all--Several good possibilities here...

/ Oil filter wrench #8  
yeah screwdriver time. I use cap type wrench with extension for mine but I needed it for few other items anyways. no sense spending money drive it in and rotate it 1/2 turn should go by hand then

/ Oil filter wrench #9  
Strap or a chain wrench. Screwdriver thing works too but it's messy more often than not.
Why is that may I ask? You already have the drain pan beneath the tractor and even if you use another means of unscrewing it, when it parts from the filter boss, it will pee oil out the bottom anyway. Don't like used oil on your hands? Wear latex gloves...

OP cannot get a wrench on it, too close clearance (if you bothered to read his opening comment), which obviously you did not...

Have the same issue with both my Kubota's, why I use the screwdriver method.

/ Oil filter wrench #10  
Why is that may I ask? You already have the drain pan beneath the tractor and even if you use another means of unscrewing it, when it parts from the filter boss, it will pee oil out the bottom anyway. Don't like used oil on your hands? Wear latex gloves...

OP cannot get a wrench on it, too close clearance (if you bothered to read his opening comment), which obviously you did not...

Have the same issue with both my Kubota's, why I use the screwdriver method.
I've got several vehicles where there are skid plates or other obstacles below the filter, easier just to spin it off.

I'm pretty sure if you read the OP or looked at the photo you'd see possibilities other than the screwdriver...which I never said wasn't a viable option.