oil decision

/ oil decision #12  
I dont know that I’ve said anything against an oil but I wouldn‘t run the Triax oil. It may be fine but I’ve never heard of it.

It’s been several years ago but I read an article about oils that didn’t meet specs. It listed the oil by name and why it didn’t meet spec. Some were just garbage. All of them were off brand names I’d never heard of and the list was long. I wish I had a link to that list but it’s old and out of date anyway.

/ oil decision #13  

Used this on my last oil change. seems fine.
I don't believe my calculator is fibbing but... That is $26.60 per gallon (in a 5 gallon pail) not adding in sales tax, which you will pay on Amazon. So, lets call it $27.00 a gallon, which is higher than Shell Rotella usually sells for at your local box store.

My comment to the OP is, follow your owners manual as to what you need to change with.

Finally, I really dislike oil threads so the above is my only comment.

Keep in mind that there are a boatload of repackagers out there and very few actual refiners. Lucas as well as Amsoil refine NOTHING, they just but in bulk and repackage and label (and maybe add some proprietary ingredients) and the jack up the price.

Last edited:
   / oil decision #14  
At the time I ordered it, only T4 & Traveler's was available around me. Not saying it's cheapest or best, but am saying it works fine & is readily available. Had the same experience with their UDT2 substitute for the Kubota. Now I just need to find a good TO4 for the Cat.

/ oil decision #15  
Are you using your tractor during the winter? not sure how cold it gets in Tuscola but I would assume cold enough... will you change your oil once a year or twice ?

/ oil decision #16  
Rotella T6 goes in mine. 15w-40 or 5w-40, whatever is on the shelf...mine lives in garage in the winter anyways.

/ oil decision
Are you using your tractor during the winter? not sure how cold it gets in Tuscola but I would assume cold enough... will you change your oil once a year or twice ?
Yes, I will use the 1705 in the winter if we get heavy snows. But it is always in a heated garage when not in use. Temps get below 0 and sometimes windchill is -20 below.

/ oil decision #18  
Yes, I will use the 1705 in the winter if we get heavy snows. But it is always in a heated garage when not in use. Temps get below 0 and sometimes windchill is -20 below.
in this case (heated garage) I would get 15w-40 or 5w-40 despite your owners manual probably calling for 0w-30 to 0w-30 ... I put 0w-40 in my massey (I don't have a heated garage) and it is calling for 0w-30 to 15w-30... as for the brand my opinion is oil is oil as long as it's certified and from a known company.

/ oil decision #19  
Your owner's manual will tell you the specification (e.g. CK-4) and recommended weights (e.g., 10W-30). Any oil that satisfies those two criteria will be fine. Don't need to overthink it, the engine manufacturer has already done that for you. I use Rotella in my diesel engines as it's readily available.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / oil decision #20  
Your owner's manual will tell you the specification (e.g. CK-4) and recommended weights (e.g., 10W-30). Any oil that satisfies those two criteria will be fine. Don't need to overthink it, the engine manufacturer has already done that for you. I use Rotella in my diesel engines as it's readily available.
An issue with the owners manual is that it is basically the same manual that was copy and pasted together in 2002. 0W engine oils were considered arctic service, 5W oils were pretty well nonexistent. Oils have come a long way in 20 years. Agco/MF did not spend a lot of money on technical writers to update the GC series manuals.