NYS Thruway mowers :-/

/ NYS Thruway mowers :-/ #1  

Robert_in_NY

Tractor
Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554
In this area we have had almost a week or more of solid rain. Everything is saturated bad from all the water. Well, yesterday the sun popped out finally and as I was driving into Silver Creek crossing over the I90 I saw one of the mowing tractors with rear flail and both side flails trying to mow the ROW along the thruway. It was a little steep but not major and he was spinning pointing up hill but moving sideways leaving a huge ruts behind him. Today, I travel into Williamsville via the I90 and see the same thing closer to Buffalo, their still fighting the mud and making a huge mess. On the way home I am stopping in at Orchard park and as I come off the I90 onto the ramp I notice another of their mowers stuck at the bottom of the ROW buried in mud pointing uphill waiting for someone to pull him out.

I know the guys are just doing what their told but who ever told them to start mowing this soon should be fired. The grass isn't even very tall, I couldn't even see where they made much difference in a couple of the spots other then making nice ruts. :confused:

/ NYS Thruway mowers :-/
Your taxes at work !:thumbsup:

I don't know if any of our taxes are involved with the NYS I90. Our tolls are suppose to pay for it which is why they keep raising tolls. Of course I was also told by friends who use to work for the Thruway that it wasn't a state ran organization, supposedly their private but then again it didn't make sense so it is possible in NY :confused2:

/ NYS Thruway mowers :-/ #4  
The next time thru, look at the doughnuts they did on the hill by the east side of the 190, sounds like they need two promotions to make village idiot rank.

/ NYS Thruway mowers :-/ #5  
Guess they are trying to get the grass cut before that lake effect starts?

/ NYS Thruway mowers :-/ #6  
not to mention we have a dry stretch of weather that could
go a week or 10 days without rain, so like you say, why rush it?

but boy do we need it...

/ NYS Thruway mowers :-/ #7  
They have just about quit mowing down here. some places the grass is so tall it is hard to see to pull on to a main road from a side road. I have started mowing two passed each way down my road to the main road as they are making the whole place look trashy... Down here it is you tax dollars not at work

/ NYS Thruway mowers :-/ #8  
I don't know if any of our taxes are involved with the NYS I90. Our tolls are suppose to pay for it which is why they keep raising tolls. Of course I was also told by friends who use to work for the Thruway that it wasn't a state ran organization, supposedly their private but then again it didn't make sense so it is possible in NY :confused2:

It is run by the state, very poorly I might add. When something goes from pubilc to state authorities they begin creating high paying no work jobs for friends.
I was just at a canal lock last week run by the thruway. The operator went on and on about all of the executive and administrative assistants (my kids love boats locks so we stop when we see one). He said the week before 5 of them visited the lock, 1 guy and his 4 "assistants". His story is one of may I have heard over and over. I also have a cousin that "works" for the thruway. Every year due to NYS use it or loose it budgeting, he gets paid overtime to play cards. They call people in just to use up the money even when they have nothing for them to do.

Another example is the mohawk valley water authority. There was a radio program a couple years ago about why when it went from being a public, locally run water district to an authority why the cost skyrocketed. They highered a bunch of managers. According to the program, the average manager had 3 people under them. Yet they service fewer people today due to Oneida counties population decline.

Office of the New York State Comptroller - Thomas P. DiNapoli - Home

/ NYS Thruway mowers :-/ #9  
Sounds like here. Our town has a big 4 wheel drive Kubota. THey have a young guy there that likes to mow because on those days he wont have to work with the other guys. THis spring the first day it wasnt raining he mowed state ROW that runs through town . Hes supposed to stay in the ditch and only mow what the Batwing will reach up each side. Well he wanted to mow more and stayed after it and we have lovely scarred banks. THe state was out this week patching them. It really hacks me even though I dont live in town to see this happen. He hapens to be the thown mangers son, THat doesnt bother me but hes a worm in general.