Nylon Protective Hose Sleeve

/ Nylon Protective Hose Sleeve #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
Hydraulic Hoses ought to last nearly forever, but often get damaged by simple stuff. At our place it's usually weathering damage, and of course sometimes abrasion.

So I ordered some nylon hose sleeve and it came today. Looks like nice quality. Price for this size is about $1.00/ft.
It is the most basic nylon protective hose sleeve ordered online from Cable Protectors & Wire Management | Electriduct.com.
I ordered the simple braided sleeve in 1" size. BS-J-DF type.

Electriduct's website shows every type of hose sleeve and protector you can imagine, including wrap-around hook/loop closure type. I'm going to try that as well, since the downside with this basic sleeving is that you have to disconnect one end of the hose to slide it on....the upside being the low price, & that a zip tie on each end is all that is required to hold it in place forever.

If anyone has already done this project I'd be interested in any hints. I already found out that I should have procured a capped fitting that screws to the one I unscrew. That would have been the simple solution to keeping the hydrauic fluid spillage down to a spoonful instead of a jar full. I didn't think of it at the time, but old hoses still have good metal fittings that could be cut off and filled with silicon to make a decent capped fitting. There's probably even easier ways, too.

rScotty

/ Nylon Protective Hose Sleeve #2  
The braided fabric type (top of page under sleeving) is the type I use....I sill have a bunch left. There are many types available:

McMaster-Carr

also, I put a hose clamp on the end (hold it to metal part) to hold it in place so it doesn't move.

Last edited:
   / Nylon Protective Hose Sleeve #5  
I went to the local hydraulics business( House of Hose ) and bought extreme duty hose protector coil material. The picture is worth 1000 words. It's a PITA to install because it needs to be split open and wrapped around the hydraulic hose. But it should protect from everything except a large limb simply ripping the hose right off the tractor. I have it wrapped around the two long third function hoses. It looks like the old coiled telephone cord that was used on POT's. It's so very tough - I ended up cutting the stuff with my band saw. My big manual limb loppers required just too much effort.

View attachment 633851

/ Nylon Protective Hose Sleeve #6  
Pretty nimble operating skills grappling that saw!
I went to the local hydraulics business( House of Hose ) and bought extreme duty hose protector coil material. The picture is worth 1000 words. It's a PITA to install because it needs to be split open and wrapped around the hydraulic hose. But it should protect from everything except a large limb simply ripping the hose right off the tractor. I have it wrapped around the two long third function hoses. It looks like the old coiled telephone cord that was used on POT's. It's so very tough - I ended up cutting the stuff with my band saw. My big manual limb loppers required just too much effort.

View attachment 633851

/ Nylon Protective Hose Sleeve #7  
Ha, ha. The protective sheath/coil was cut to length BEFORE installation.

/ Nylon Protective Hose Sleeve #9  
I ran hoses from a rear remote for a 3rd function loader valve on a M5030. Carefully priced components to do the job at Royal Brass. At the last minute added the protective nylon fabric sheath. Paying my jaw dropped, they charged me $70 for the sleeve! I think it was 20’.
Anyway made for a good installation that never gave problems being drugged thru miles of blackberries and brush.

Bought a roll of Gates hose protector sleeve for $40 off eBay. Must be couple 100’ because I have used a bunch and still have half a roll. Replaced and covered all the hoses on a B20. Covered lines from balers, mowers, log splitter, grapples etc. So far I have lived with the oil loss. Could see where a package of assorted laboratory rubber stoppers would be handy.

Pre-Cut Spiral Wrap Hose Protector, 1.0" OD, 25' Length, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OA3XJDI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_6E5bEbPCBH5AB

I haven’t installed this product but have some equipment that has it. I think most times you can install without breaking a line. Different sizes. Amazon also has kit of assorted jic fitting caps.

My M59 has quite a bit of factory sleeving installed.

IMG_1317.JPG
Taking the Christmas tree to the fish pond.

/ Nylon Protective Hose Sleeve #10  
I ran hoses from a rear remote for a 3rd function loader valve on a M5030. Carefully priced components to do the job at Royal Brass. At the last minute added the protective nylon fabric sheath. Paying my jaw dropped, they charged me $70 for the sleeve! I think it was 20?
Anyway made for a good installation that never gave problems being drugged thru miles of blackberries and brush.

Bought a roll of Gates hose protector sleeve for $40 off eBay. Must be couple 100 because I have used a bunch and still have half a roll. Replaced and covered all the hoses on a B20. Covered lines from balers, mowers, log splitter, grapples etc. So far I have lived with the oil loss. Could see where a package of assorted laboratory rubber stoppers would be handy.

Pre-Cut Spiral Wrap Hose Protector, 1.0" OD, 25' Length, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OA3XJDI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_6E5bEbPCBH5AB

I haven稚 installed this product but have some equipment that has it. I think most times you can install without breaking a line. Different sizes. Amazon also has kit of assorted jic fitting caps.

My M59 has quite a bit of factory sleeving installed.

View attachment 634425
Taking the Christmas tree to the fish pond.

Is that M59 really beefy enough to haul away that massive Christmas tree?