Nyla nuts

/ Nyla nuts #1  

Frankenkubota

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX 5800, SkidPro 4 in 1, Ratchet rake, SkidPro pallet forks
My mx5800 with fel is maybe 9 months old, appx 100 hours.

Early on I noticed a number of bolts that had what I call nyla nuts on them, none tightened, not even close.

I Looked yesterday and noticed one of the nuts had fallen off and of course disappeared.

I guess the untightened Nyla nut and and bolt act more as a pin than a fastener?

No problems, I will find a new bolt but, I wonder why they don稚 just use a pin with a cotter pin?

/ Nyla nuts #3  
A bolt with a lock nut is a lot more durable faster vs a pin with cotter pin that is easily snagged by brush and pulled out.

/ Nyla nuts #4  
As long as it has been run down far enough to lock. LOL.

/ Nyla nuts
By Nyla nut, are you speaking of a lock nut?

I guess? Lock nut? Makes sense.

These nuts came out years ago, they seem to have nylon or something on the threads which I guess acts as a lock nut?

I think they are great but, if you don’t tighten them, why use a nut.

I have probably 8-10 between the fel and bh, all the same. The nut is at least 1/8th inch from making contact, not even close to clamping down.

I don’t care but, again, if you are not going to tighten the nut, why use a nut and bolt?

I bet there is a good reason, I’m just curious.

/ Nyla nuts #6  
The thing that matters with a nylock nut is that there is at least 1/8" of threads protruding from the side of the nut where the nylon insert resides. If the non-inserted side of the nut contacts the workpiece before there is sufficient protrusion beyond the insert, then there will be no locking effect other than the stretch of the bolt. If this occurs, you need a longer bolt.

/ Nyla nuts #7  
Nylon insert lock nuts are often referred to as NYLOCKS. I grew up thinking it was an actual brand name but I guess it is generic. LOL

/ Nyla nuts #8  
I guess? Lock nut? Makes sense.

These nuts came out years ago, they seem to have nylon or something on the threads which I guess acts as a lock nut?

I think they are great but, if you don’t tighten them, why use a nut.

I have probably 8-10 between the fel and bh, all the same. The nut is at least 1/8th inch from making contact, not even close to clamping down.

I don’t care but, again, if you are not going to tighten the nut, why use a nut and bolt?

I bet there is a good reason, I’m just curious.

Because short of welding it that’s the most secure way to hold the pin in place. If you take a hammer and beat the end of the bolt that’s sticking out of the nut It’ll never come off.

/ Nyla nuts #9  
When using self locking nuts and the intent is NOT to tighten then then it is important there is adequate bolt thread length in order to engage the nylon inserts of the nut without tightening the assembly.

/ Nyla nuts #10  
Nylock nuts hold tight after being securely tightened on bolts. After removal of nut, replacement and re-tightening two or three times will remain secure. After several removals, returns and tightenings, Nylock nut holding power is reduced and nuts must be replaced to assure security.

I used to do teletype machine repair work in the Navy in the 1960's before nylock nuts were invented. Nylock nuts, when only applied to a bolt two or three times, hold much better than all but a very few specialty lock washers.

My mx5800 with fel is maybe 9 months old, appx 100 hours.

Early on I noticed a number of bolts that had nylock nuts on them, none tightened, not even close.

I Looked yesterday and noticed one of the nuts had fallen off and of course disappeared.

This is poor assembly, either at the factory or the dealer before delivery.