NS4710 vs NS6010 engine. Upgrade?

/ NS4710 vs NS6010 engine. Upgrade? #1  

Damcgee

Tractor
None
Per Kioto’s website and some other threads here, it seems the engines in these two tractors are mechanically identical. The other thread discussing this is focused on emissions, which is a different issue than this post.

If difference in an NS4710 and NS6010 is purely software… how would one change the software to convert the 45hp engine to 60hp?

Last edited:
   / NS4710 vs NS6010 engine. Upgrade? #2  
Following..I have an NS 5310 and am curious now too..lol

/ NS4710 vs NS6010 engine. Upgrade? #3  
I speculate the NS6010 has greater cooling capacity.

/ NS4710 vs NS6010 engine. Upgrade? #4  
I would imagine a different ECM with different tune for the higher HP unit. Have you compared part numbers between both models? Engine wise that is, including the ECMs.

/ NS4710 vs NS6010 engine. Upgrade?
I would imagine a different ECM with different tune for the higher HP unit. Have you compared part numbers between both models? Engine wise that is, including the ECMs.
I don’t know how to compare part numbers for the individual components. How would I do that?

/ NS4710 vs NS6010 engine. Upgrade? #6  
I'm receiving my NS6010 tomorrow, so can't opine on this specific model/brand as of yet.
However, having been around Porsches for the past 2 decades, this is how one can get more HP out of the same basic block :
- bigger intakes/intercoolers
- change the flash, take up the redline
- bigger turbo(s)
- less restrictive exhaust
A key Porsche example could be the Metger block, which makes 400HP in the normally aspirated GT3 and over 500HP in the 911 Turbo.
It's not going to be as simple as just changing the flash. Without changing the 'flow' through the engine, and especially the cooling, a lot could go wrong.

/ NS4710 vs NS6010 engine. Upgrade? #7  
I don’t know how to compare part numbers for the individual components. How would I do that?
Go to Michigan Iron Equip website. Use their awesome online part catalog tool, open a window for each model and start comparing part numbers between each other. I suspect most will be the same other than the ECM but haven't got the time yet to check it out.

/ NS4710 vs NS6010 engine. Upgrade? #8  
I'm receiving my NS6010 tomorrow, so can't opine on this specific model/brand as of yet.
However, having been around Porsches for the past 2 decades, this is how one can get more HP out of the same basic block :
- bigger intakes/intercoolers
- change the flash, take up the redline
- bigger turbo(s)
- less restrictive exhaust
A key Porsche example could be the Metger block, which makes 400HP in the normally aspirated GT3 and over 500HP in the 911 Turbo.
It's not going to be as simple as just changing the flash. Without changing the 'flow' through the engine, and especially the cooling, a lot could go wrong.
Perhaps fortunately, tractors aren't nearly tuned up as much as Porsches. When I looked at rad and hydraulic cooler part numbers between the 3 hp levels of my tractor, there was no difference. Being NA the engines were different displacement, 2.0l, 2.2(stroked), and 2.4(bored and stroked) IIRC with only the 2.4L getting an engine oil cooler. But as far as I could tell they were all the same tractor otherwise.
I suspect the 3 hp levels for the NS series is just different tunes with the injectors and cooling sized for the high hp tune. I guess 60hp from 1.5l is kind of getting up there for hp/L for a tractor but not really hard to do I don't think.

/ NS4710 vs NS6010 engine. Upgrade?
Strangely, Michigan Iron's website doesn't list Kioti's NS models... none of them.