Novice wants a MIG, advise ?

/ Novice wants a MIG, advise ? #61  
Haven’t read entire thread. FWIW, I bought a Hobart 187 mig running on 220v set up for solid wire using shielding gas. That combo would allow me to weld anything from car body panels to something like 3/16 material. I’ve never had any duty cycle issues with it. There was hardly any spatter compared to flux core and the welder has never given any problems in the ten plus years I have used it.

it is somewhat difficult to advise what you should actually buy. It depends on what you will actually weld and how much you use it. You can spend a fair amount to be able to weld tubing without burn through. Whether it is worth it to you is up to you.

will say to get a good hood to protect your eyes. A good metal cutting saw like the Evolution will make fitting tubing cuts much better and less frustrating.

But the total cost adds up.

/ Novice wants a MIG, advise ? #62  
Hard to go wrong with MILLER. They often offer free classes at the dealers, so that could help you as well. Operate the unit on 240 vac... More [input] voltage, less [input] current required... welds will be more consistent.

My little Miller Multimatic 200 on 25/75 is a sewing machine either on 110v 20 amp, or 220v 50 amp, but that welder nowadays is over $3500, whereas a Harbor Freight equivalent machine is good and less than a third the price.

/ Novice wants a MIG, advise ? #64  
I am still researching a MIG. So far, I am sticking with the "name brands" that I know: Lincoln, Hobart (Miller) and Everlast. What I **think** I want is a 110/220 capable machine and
- can use large spools (8")
- capable using flux core in addition to (argon+co2) with wire
- do NOT need stick or TIG capability (already have a Miller stick)
- 10' leads would be nice

So far, considering a Hobart 140, Lincoln 140 (or maybe Lincoln Handy Mig k2185-1?) and Everlast 200ES. Checked a larger Miller / Lincolns locally, the next sizes up almost 2x prices. As mentioned, the Hobart, Lincoln and Miller are sold local, so any "options"/ parts... would be available.

Honestly, I am somewhat frozen by all the specs and features. I'd really like some opinions. This machine is mainly for Hobby use. Thin gauge tubing / thinnish rebar (wire, maybe up to 1/2"). So, trying to stick with a name brand, one that is easy to load spools, adjust and as trouble free as possible.
Perhaps, the ones I mentioned are all about equivalent? But I would appreciate advice from "experts" before buying and having regrets. :)
Bottom line the ""right tool for the right job""....buy what is needed...as a few have mentioned SPECIFICATIONS of the machine and your intended purpose.
Happy New Year and Good Luck

/ Novice wants a MIG, advise ? #65  
We have professional welders (people) where I work - we make machinery for the food processing industry.
We use mostly TIG welding machines. I am not a welder but have done a couple of small pieces, and the TIG machines are nice.

/ Novice wants a MIG, advise ? #66  
I have 6 welders Sidekick 130 220V 2 MM200's (one a Canox variant) a Millermatic 210 with dual solenoids and a Spool gun, an old Thunderbolt 225 Stick, and an Everlast Tig.
They all have their uses, but something like the MM210 will weld anything from 20 guage to 1/2" plate.

The Sidekick has been my daily driver for 25 years, sometimes it has run 30-40 hrs in a week. The bigger units get used for projects over 1/4". I bought the MM210 and the Canox MM200 for the Princely sum of $950 on auction from a college. Spent $210 more on a new gun for one,as it wasn't included in the sale, relined the other's gun and $240 for a new voltage switch. They came with the Spool gun.

All are older transformer based welders. They don't have the auto-set features of the modern ones, but can weld all day and less electronics to fail. And once you get some seat time, having simple voltage range switches is not an issue.

The Sidekick has been such a solid machine, it still has the original GA-16C gun with likely 4-5000 hrs of use. Other than blowing it out regularly, using a wiper on the wire spool and cleaning the trigger switch 3 or 4 times, 0 down time. One of the big Millers came from a shipyard on replacement schedule, the Canox and MM210 from a local college. Same thing 0 issues. I am planning on re-capping them over the next year, but that is mostly due to them all being 20-30 yrs old and the nature of electrolytic capacitors.

There's a Canox branded Sidekick 130 for sale here on FB marketplace,asking $350 as it was painted orange not blue, and labeled Canox. thinking of grabbing it to give to my Son , stop him borrowing mine!

There is also the bonus that all the migs will take anything from a 1lb spool to a 33 lb, do flux and shielded gas. I just have the 3 200+ amp machines because I got them all for $800 or less, and now one is loaded with .030, one with .035, and one stays set for Aluminum with the Spool and Argon attached. The Sidekick is loaded with .023 and is my go-to for sheet metal work up to 1/8". That one I purchased new around 1989 for what was then a fortune, $1299.

Last edited:
   / Novice wants a MIG, advise ? #67  
I am still researching a MIG. So far, I am sticking with the "name brands" that I know: Lincoln, Hobart (Miller) and Everlast. What I **think** I want is a 110/220 capable machine and
- can use large spools (8")
- capable using flux core in addition to (argon+co2) with wire
- do NOT need stick or TIG capability (already have a Miller stick)
- 10' leads would be nice

So far, considering a Hobart 140, Lincoln 140 (or maybe Lincoln Handy Mig k2185-1?) and Everlast 200ES. Checked a larger Miller / Lincolns locally, the next sizes up almost 2x prices. As mentioned, the Hobart, Lincoln and Miller are sold local, so any "options"/ parts... would be available.

Honestly, I am somewhat frozen by all the specs and features. I'd really like some opinions. This machine is mainly for Hobby use. Thin gauge tubing / thinnish rebar (wire, maybe up to 1/2"). So, trying to stick with a name brand, one that is easy to load spools, adjust and as trouble free as possible.
Perhaps, the ones I mentioned are all about equivalent? But I would appreciate advice from "experts" before buying and having regrets. :)
I purchased a Miller 211 a few years ago and couldn't be happier. I've used it in both shielded gas and flux core modes. The nice thing about this welder is that after you config it for wire size and a few other things (it does take the larger spools) you merely dial in the thickness of the material you are welding and it does the rest. Why I recommend this is that like you, I am primarily a hobbyist, hence infrequent use. Therefore, when I pick it up to use it, I have developed a degree of confidence that makes me look forward to using it, rather than anxious. Good luck!

/ Novice wants a MIG, advise ? #68  
Since you already have other welders and you just want to see how this works, I would get just the cheap harbor freight Titanium Easy Flux Mig - $199. You can find it on sale for $169 often. I've used it for a couple years now and no problems with small or large projects. I like it because it's only 15lb DC welder. I can easily take it anywhere, and happy with results.

/ Novice wants a MIG, advise ? #69  
I have been hobby welding since 1978. Yah, I know, I'm old! I've owned Montgomery Wards (showing my age again), Sears, Lincoln, Hobart, and now Eastwood. I didn't want to spend the big money, shopped around, and liked the price and features of the Eastwood welders. I've had my Eastwood for 3 years now and absolutely love it! Might be worth checking into them! 😉

/ Novice wants a MIG, advise ? #70  
I have welded off and on for over 35 years or so. Several years of that full time on large industrial equipment parts for the company I work for. When I was looking for a welder for home use I didn’t want to break the bank, so I was considering HarborFreight options. I started watching YouTube videos which lead me to a brand called YesWelder. The reviews all seemed great and given the price point I though why not try this brand since I only occasionally need to weld at home. I have been very happy with the purchase. So much so that I also bought a plasma cutter from them as well. The shipping was fast, consumables are affordable and can be purchased from their website or even from Amazon. I don’t recall the model number I purchased but I’m able to weld up to 1/2 steel, weld aluminum, and stick weld all with the same unit.