Notes on Bug Fixes, New Features

/ Notes on Bug Fixes, New Features #1  

Muhammad

Administrator
Tractor
None currently
Aside from the minor color and formatting changes, there are a couple of new features for you to use.

First, the QuickLinks for long threads. When you are in a forum index page, listing the threads, you will now see 'QuickLinks' next to the subject on threads with more messages than your maximum per page (which you can set in your display preferences under 'Edit Profile'). The new default number of messages per page in flat mode is 25. You can set this higher or lower. For those of you with high-speed access, you might want to display more, while slower connections will load the pages faster if you set the number to 25 or less.

What this feature basically does is it allows you to view the last page in a thread first, instead of the first. So, in those l-o-n-g threads, like 'L4310 Enhancements', you can go directly to the most recent page (the last since messages are sorted from oldest-newest) and view the most recent messages first. As I mentioned, this means that the pages in long threads will load much faster since you won't be viewing as many messages.

For an example of this feature, see the attached image. The highlighted text/links are what you click.

The other features we added are 1) the option to sort the forum index pages by the number of message views and replies. So, now you can view by most popular, or highest viewed messages in addition to by date, poster, and subject. The bug with the sorting by replies has been fixed. 2) Message # tracking in flat and threaded mode. Now, each message is tagged with a number after the subject. So, in flat mode, you can follow the discussion easier, without having to switch to threaded mode to view the 'progress' of a thread (as in who replied to who).

Also, the FAQ, and forum instructions will be modified soon, to be included in a 'New Users' Getting Started Guide'... which I'm sure we'll all have to refer back to from time to time. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Future updates/new features are already in progress. The popular 'new messages since last login', optional reverse message listing (newset-oldest), e-mail notification of every post in the forums you select, and other features you have suggested over the past few months, will be implemented. Don't worrry, we didn't forget.

msig.gif

/ Notes on Bug Fixes, New Features #2  
Muhammad,

I am sure I am not alone in expressing first, my great appreciation for the terrific feature updates you have made, and second, for the excellent way in which this forum continues to be run. Besides all your otherr talents, you are some kind of coder. Hats off!

Tractorbynet is surely the "highlight" of my online experiences, and I am truly thanklful that this place exists for us bunch 'o tractor nuts!

Many thanks.

BobT.

P.S. I ESPECIALLY like the ability to jump top the last page of threads. That was slowing me way down. Super job!

A Indiana Boy

/ Notes on Bug Fixes, New Features #3  
Muhammad -

Great improvements! I have high-speed connection (DSL), but even so I was starting to shy away from 'L4310 Enhancements'.

I just did some performance testing, using your new improvements as a test case, and I came up with 2 conclusions:

1. Your modifications make a significant difference.
2. Netscape 4.7 for Mac sucks /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif

Not telling you anything you didn't already know, but thought you might appreciate some corroboration. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

HarvSig2.gif

/ Notes on Bug Fixes, New Features #4  
Thanks again, Muhammad. I like it!

Bird

/ Notes on Bug Fixes, New Features #5  
Muhammad - Thanks!!! Great job again, as always. I like the quick links. I've already lowered the number of posts I see per page in Flat mode and speeded up my access and cut down on the load on your sever at the same time.

Mark

/ Notes on Bug Fixes, New Features #6  
Muhammod, well Sir, your upgrade finally made it to California! At least your pic at the top of the page (your post) is a darker gray/grey with the links in blue, and the top folder yellow....sorta. I prefer the white background over the gray/grey one...easier on the old eyes.

/ Notes on Bug Fixes, New Features
Actually that is just a screen shot with all but the links greyed out for them to show up. The forum still has a white background!

msig.gif

/ Notes on Bug Fixes, New Features #8  
Muhammad,

Your amazing! I guess the next step is some kind of cord, that plugs into one of those little holes, in the back of that there box that sends stuff to the little TV, I can plug into my pillow and absorb all the posts during the night. No, I don't work in the computer industry./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Thanks for making so easy for us.

/ Notes on Bug Fixes, New Features #9  
The quick links being able to go to the last page saves a lot of time on the larger posts. Good Job.

/ Notes on Bug Fixes, New Features #10  
Maybe I have something set wrong, but the main index and all of the messages, except the reply box (the one using now) seem to be smaller than they used to be so that the main index takes up 3 lines per topic and takes 2 or 3 pages to look at it. Everything used to fit in 2 lines.

The board is very slow right now.