Northeast Heating Options

/ Northeast Heating Options #1  

JDGREEN4ME

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 2520, John Deere X534, GT 225, GT 275
We have property on Senecal Lake in NY and want to build a home there. Our heating options are electric, propane, natural gas or oil. Is there any source to check for historical information in regards to cost for each option? Any northeastern tractor guys out there that can share their experiance? Thanks.

/ Northeast Heating Options #2  
Perhaps you should add the distance to available services.:D :D

/ Northeast Heating Options #3  
Mornin JD,
I don't have a lot of info but I am in the process of starting to research the replacement of my old oil boiler. I like the baseboard heat as oposed to forced air. I also have a old indoor wood boiler in the celler next to the oil boiler which I like.

I have heard that of the few high effiecency oil boilers out there they are not working too good and was recomennded to go with a regular 85-87 % unit and a chiminy. In new construction the cost of a chiminy would pay for the upgrade to propane.

I am leaning towards propane. Propane is more expensive but the higher efficency will bring it closer and less maintenance, cleaner. If you buy your own propane tank you can shop arouind in the summer and get a better price per gallon.

Some of the new indoor wood boilers are fairly efficent but $, around 7,500.00 plus you would still need a backup boiler, oil or propane. The solo combo units are not that efficent.

I still have a lot more research to do. Please forgive my spelling.

EDIT: I missed the natural gas - that is probably better than propane.

Larry

/ Northeast Heating Options
Egon said:
Perhaps you should add the distance to available services.:D :D

Electric on property, oil and propane are local deliveries. Gas I am not sure about locally.

/ Northeast Heating Options
Thanks for the info Larry, let me know how you make out. We are thinking about doing wood/coal etc. for the basement in addition to whatever we select as our main heat source. The other option is the means of heating our hot water. I have read the the instant set ups can save some money over a conventional heater. Currently in the house we have now are hot water is off the oil fired boiler we use for heat. (hot water baseboard).

/ Northeast Heating Options #6  
JDGREEN4ME said:
We have property on Senecal Lake in NY and want to build a home there. Our heating options are electric, propane, natural gas or oil. Is there any source to check for historical information in regards to cost for each option? Any northeastern tractor guys out there that can share their experiance? Thanks.

I'm an old heating guy and given your options my vote is for propane or natural gas. Personal choice based on cleanliness of the units and ease of serviceability.

/ Northeast Heating Options #7  
I like heat pumps. That far north, I would look into a ground source heat pump, especially with oil and gas prices headed skyward.

/ Northeast Heating Options #8  
SnowRidge I had also thought about Geothermal however it wasn't mentioned on the list of choices.

/ Northeast Heating Options #9  
JDGREEN4ME said:
I use fuel oil for heat. Fuel oil has more BTU content than gas. My son lives within 18 miles of me but his place has propane for heat. Houses are similar in size and insulation but his house costs over twice what mine does to heat in winter even though his propane is cheaper than my fuel. I have heated my home for the past 17 years with oil and never used more than 500 gallons per year. My house is a fairly small ranch style of about 1200 sq. ft. son's house is about 1500 sq. ft.
I tried supplemental electric heaters in a previous house and that was about like the cost of heating with propane.
A wood stove is also nice. A friend of mine uses three methods of heating his home. He uses a wood stove when he's home for heat (of course he has 21 acres of free wood), When he leaves then a monitor heater (55,000 BTU's) that runs or kerosene takes over, when temps get real low he has a propane forced air furnace.
If I were to build a new home today in this area I would have an oil fired hot water boiler with hot water baseboard heat. Or a combo hot water boiler unit that burns oil on one side and wood on the other. There are many companies that make multi fuel units.
If you choose gas or fuel, the furnace will required annual service and of course a gas furnace will be easier to clean.

/ Northeast Heating Options #10  
Mornin JDGreen,
At out Vt cabin we use propane, we own the tank and I am buying it for $2.15 per gal right now. At our Ct home I burn wood no cost other than my labor, and I also use propane but the cost in Ct is $2.95 per gal !!! :confused: Obviously I try and keep that stove running constantly during the cold weather !

Depending upon your age, geo thermal as others have mentioned is an option also, a heavy cash layout to begin with but quite economical to run. If you can realize the benifits of this method of heating than research it by all means.

I dont believe if you mentioned how much property you have at that location and or whether it is wooded or not ? Free wood can be quite enticing when it comes to free heat ! ;) :)