Noob Here...Seeking a Tractor Education, Please

/ Noob Here...Seeking a Tractor Education, Please #11  
Also consider your health and protects maybe in the future.

/ Noob Here...Seeking a Tractor Education, Please #12  
If your ten acres is sloped or uneven I recommend a tractor of 3,600 pounds to 4,000 pounds bare tractor weight. This is the mid-weight category of compact tractors, a high volume segment. Every tractor manufacturer produces an economy model and a deluxe model in this weight range. Horsepower options range from 35-horsepower to 60-horsepower in this weight range.

Kubota 'Grand L' L3560 VIDEOS:

Last edited:
   / Noob Here...Seeking a Tractor Education, Please #13  
Tractors are great fun...(I've owned JD 3, 4 and now 5 series) but you should determine what you're going to use it for. If you just want to mow, with 10 acers (or less), a large Zero Turn will out mow any tractor faster, cheaper and with less fuss...especially on hills. In addition, you'll struggle with the just the right tires for your tractor. If you hate getting stuck in the mud or want to do field work, aggressive tractor tires are a must...but they will tear up your lawn. If you're going to use a tractor for work other then mowing...that'd be a better investment. If you can afford it...get both.

• Good Post
Reactions: mo1
   / Noob Here...Seeking a Tractor Education, Please #14  
Also deem the need for ROPS (open station) or cab, factor in weather vs your own health. Woods/no woods......cab tractors need to be more aware of tight spots and woods. But they do shield you from elements hot colt or driving over a yellow jackets nest while working the soil.

/ Noob Here...Seeking a Tractor Education, Please #15  
Weight,
horsepower,
hydraulic capacity (lift capacity of FEL and 3 point hitch),
3 point hitch “size” -Class 0, 1, or 2, etc.. Attachments have to be able to …well…. attach. There is some overlap and adjustments. Larger tractors can usually fit smaller attachments, vice-versa may be case-by-case.
Number of (rear) hydraulic ports (i.e. SCV’s - selective control valves) where you plug in hydraulic hoses for rear attachments. These are different than where hoses of FEL plug in. Number you want depends on what equipment you want. Each single valve has two ports (think of it as 1-in, 1-out) for plugging in 2 hoses that would go to a 1 hydraulic cylinder on the attachment.
Operation of PTO: Is PTO electrically controlled by a switch (that slams PTO on) or an independent lever that you can manually “clutch.”? Or part of the clutch pedal operation?
Block heater for cold weather.

Above where the big ticket items (for me).

Then there’s hundreds of the nitty gritty, and “comfort” issues. Like :
Cab or no cab.
Extendable lift arms on the 3 point hitch for connecting attachments more easily.
Many many more…

/ Noob Here...Seeking a Tractor Education, Please #16  
Before you decide on the features you want, better do a site review of your property and want work you want done with the tractor. Only then can you decide best features. And only after that, can you decide on what brand you need. WELCOME TO TBN. GLAD YOU ARE HERE.

/ Noob Here...Seeking a Tractor Education, Please #17  
Kailor, how about giving us a response to all the comments listed so far? We can't help you if you don't give us more information.

/ Noob Here...Seeking a Tractor Education, Please
Thanks for all of the responses thus far. I have a 61" Ferris for mowing. Land is flat-to-very-small-inclines.
Usages, in no particular order, would include:

Spreading gravel
Digging post holes
Digging trenches for water lines and electrical runs
Clearing an acre of small trees...< 10" diameter...and moving the felled trees
Tilling soil for garden...approximately 1 acre or a little less

/ Noob Here...Seeking a Tractor Education, Please #19  
Backhoe for trenching and stump removal?

/ Noob Here...Seeking a Tractor Education, Please #20  
Thanks for all of the responses thus far. I have a 61" Ferris for mowing. Land is flat-to-very-small-inclines.
Usages, in no particular order, would include:

Spreading gravel
Digging post holes
Digging trenches for water lines and electrical runs
Clearing an acre of small trees...< 10" diameter...and moving the felled trees
Tilling soil for garden...approximately 1 acre or a little less

Except for excavating 10" diameter trees, a 2,500 to 2,800 pound bare weight tractor with <25-horsepower will be ample. For the trees, rent a mini-excavator for a weekend which will take out trees, roots and all. The mini-excavator can do your trenching during the same weekend.

Last edited: