Nonprofessional using Excavator?

/ Nonprofessional using Excavator?
The concerns about dam building are a good point. I intend to be careful about that. My expectations are that this is going to be mostly a dugout pond with a low (3-4 foot) wall on the one side.

Mike, I expect my L-39 is going to get some hours moving the spoils. Wish I could get my wife comfortable on it. She's good with our B7800 with the hydrostatic transmission but doesn't like the GST on the L-39.

/ Nonprofessional using Excavator? #22  
Mike said:
Be prepaired for a lot of hours on the L-39.
In my case, one hour digging with the Komatsu = 3-4 hours loading and moving with the L-39. Considering the wear, if a big job, I'd be inclined to hire out.

/ Nonprofessional using Excavator? #23  
Here's a chance to get some "seat time" on a 544, 624 or 644 loader, too!! :D

My wife wouldn't hardly sit on my little 'ol JD 970 with a clutch tranny. She could get it to buck and rear in a wide open pasture!! :eek: :eek:

AKfish

/ Nonprofessional using Excavator? #24  
catvet said:
I'm hoping to build my own pond this summer and was wondering if it is feasible to get the hang of an excavator in a reasonable period of time? I know it's crazy but I have the time and desire to have a go at it.

The pond location is cleared so I wouldn't be taking down trees. We have a pond fairly close which had good quantities of clay. In fact the person who did that pond left a big pile of clay to use for the next pond if the soils weren't up to snuff.

The largest machine I've used thus far is my Kubota L39 which I have around 400 hours on. A local Terex rep. does rentals. I've been thinking about their TC125 which apparently weighs in at 28,000 lbs. Pond is looking to be approx. 75' x 150' and hoping to make it as much as 12 -15 ft deep in spots. Will be mostly dugout with needing to build dam on downhill side.

Obviously I could hire it out but wouldn't be as much fun. Or depending how it goes could be hiring it out would be much more fun.:rolleyes:

Any suggestions, for or against, appreciated.
Hummmmmmmm, I dont think a TC125 will dig 12-15ft, without getting in the hole. I think I read you saw water in the test holes (not good when getting in the hole, most of the time) I am not familiar with the TC125, but if I had possible ground water, I would want a bigger and more aggressive machine. I have a Cat320L(42,000 lb) and if I understand all the info, thats what I would use (40-45,000 lb machine)I might be wrong, but I dont think, you can dig that size pond in a week and contend with the dirt and water.
As far as learning how to operate a excavator, I dont think you will have a problem, just think before you do anything, plan your digging areas, before you dig.
Now back to the dirt, seems like I read the word CLAY in your comments, anytime you dig clay, especially wet clay, you are asking for trouble. Its hard to dig, sticks in bucket, trouble re-locating it, trouble spreading it and its not alot of good uses for clay. You can build the slopes with it, but it makes bad soil to have to spread in your yard.
I will agree, that its kind of fun to operate a excavator, but it takes time to do this.
Bottom line, I think I would hire it done, by the time you rent the machine, get liability insurance to cover the rental, water pump, fuel, dump truck, dozer, etc. I think you would be better off, to look at someone else doing the work. Thats a big job to take upon yourself, by yourself
Good Luck

/ Nonprofessional using Excavator?
Appreciate the feedback. I've talked to a number of people and the the opinions both here and in person seem to be running towards hiring it out.

I understand the advantages to hiring it out, it makes logical sense to have someone who is experienced with the equipment and pond building to do the job. Also I would agree that a dozer and dump truck would be good additions to the mix.

However, hiring out means more money out of pocket. I expect I'll be hearing quotes in the $20-30,000 range and I just can't afford that. Might mean that I shouldn't have a pond but that doesn't sound like much fun.

Also, hiring out doesn't let me play with an excavator. Which might also be a good thing but not much fun.

I'm still debating the issue both with my wife and myself.

On a another note the rental place I've talked to doesn't rent anything larger than the Terex TC125. Must admit something that size already scares me enough.

/ Nonprofessional using Excavator? #26  
I've no direct exp, but have seen several to many posts that the cost for excavations were often under the expectations. The pro's using pro tools with operating engineer skills can get large jobs done and be sucking down the second beer, long before you do much more than chicken scratch the ground. (no offense, it's just the guys that run this stuff for a living flat out "git 'er done".)

jb